• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does YOUR "hammer" have night sights?

My glock and USP have night sights. I agree a light is important but I also see no downside to night sights. I want every advantage possible

My glock and USP have night sights. I agree a light is important but I also see no downside to night sights. I want every advantage possible

My contention is that they offer no distinct advantage at all and the money spent on them would be better spent on ammo and practicing point shooting progressions for speed to get rounds on the target faster. That's how you win a gunfight. Not being a d!ck, just being seriously honest with you and others that rely on gadgetry over time proven methodolgy.

Example - Take a look at this 17th century pistol
[Broken External Image]:

See any sights at all on it? They were point shot. People practiced until they could hit what they wanted within a limited range by point shooting.

Fast forward -
WW1 - 1911 - not a1 - notice the sights. Look how small they are. Have you ever wondered why?
[Broken External Image]:

Its because of the methodology taught for pistol shooting at the time. They same thing that had been taught/learned for centuries - the smaller sights are for sighted fire at distances - distances you may not be able to point shoot. Close in you reverted to the point shoot method.

Here is a link to an article that you can read to better understand the concept. I don't agree with all that the author says but the basic concept is explained.
http://www.bobtuley.com/pointshooting.htm

Here is a Field manual written by Col Applegate for the Marine Corps - check out chapter 5.

http://www.resist.com/Kill_or_Get_Killed_Pt1.pdf

The date may have changed, but basic combat principles remain the same.

Trying to aquire night sights or in fact any sights during an adrenaline dump is not practical nor have I seen in all my years of training folks anyone whether in training or actual combat situations (military or police) actually use their sights in a close combat situation.

Considering that about 99% of all pistol combat happens within 10 yards, I'd say that would be pretty important to us all.

Actually, I have had nightsights on my guns in the past although my Glock that I use for HD doesn't... it does have a flashlight (so does my AR, and my wife's 20ga). All the lights are bright enough to blind at night (see the forum post where one of our members blinded his wife with his flashlight :))...

No night sights on mine. First job is target ID so a bright flashlight is my choice. I highly recommend these folks: http://www.malkoffdevices.com/, particularly if you have an old Surefire you want to upgrade. Works great on the street as well, lights up an alley or parking area, makes the rats scurry.
My wife's pistol has a Streamlight TLR-3 attached for home defense. Not as bright as the dedicated flashlight, but side splash lights a room pretty well and the focused beam is target sized and centered on POI at room distances.

I agree with the point and shoot method 100% but the minor cost of night sights and the option of being able to accurately use my sights in low light ( not no light) conditions is something I like. Different strokes for different folks.

Back
Top Bottom