• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Does YOUR "hammer" have night sights?

I've shot extensively in low light, and find that without a decent flashlight, rather using night sights or basic irons, I'm not in a position to accurately engage targets with much confidence. I carry a flashlight everywhere I go, and keep one on my HD gun. Just one tool in my box of preparedness.

Isn't turning on a flash light just about the fastest way possible to make yourself the target? Im sure there are a thousand "what if" scenarios, but if I was ever faced with hostile targets at night, especially more than one, i wouldnt be walking around with a flashlight on thats for sure.

Last edited:
Isn't turning on a flash light just about the fastest way possible to make yourself the target? Im sure there are a thousand "what if" scenarios, but if I was ever faced with hostile targets at night, especially more than one, i wouldnt be walking around with a flashlight on thats for sure.

You can't shoot what you can't see. And even if you can, you need to KNOW that you can/should shoot. Flashlight techniques for firearms is a whole separate area. Low light shooting involves training. Those without that training usually don't see the merit in it and normally are also the ones that end up making a bad decision and getting their @ss in a sling... When you use a flashlight to ID a threat, it is momentary and you take a step away or hold the light away from your body depending on which style of flashlight technique you are using.

http://www.iwillnotbeavictim.com/flashlight_hold-page.html

I use the Harries and Modified FBI technique. I teach all of them on the range. You need to familiarize yourself with them as do most all CCW holders if they intend on using or carrying at night. A flashlight is a must. You don't want to be explaining to a jury how you "thought" the threat had a gun if it's outside of your home. Otherwise you could end up a punching bag for the media and do the rest of your fellow responsable gun owners a huge disservice by providing said media with more anti gun hype through your ignorance.

Recon summed it up well. Turning on a flashlight in the middle of a fight isn't ideal, to be sure, but I have the burden as a responsible shooter / defender to identify my targets before sending rounds their way. Many of us have families, and we can't be shooting at shadows and sounds. Also, not sure how familiar you are with the newer LED defensive lights, but if you catch someone in the eyes with one, their vision is going to suffer briefly. Hopefully, that's going to give you time to act in whatever manner is appropriate.

Last edited:
My new HK USP 9 came with nice bright Tru Glo night sights. I carry a flashlight for practical as well as defensive purposes. A good, bright, sudden blast or strobe can disorient an attacker long enough for you strike back or elude them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom