• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question: Why does Kimber have a bad reputation?

Critical part breakage. It's a shame, they make beautiful guns. I'd like to have a Rapide, but I'm a shooter, not a collector. I've not known of anyone that has owned a Kimber and really shot one that has not had issues with it.

I bought a Kimber Solo Carry. Worst gun I ever owned. Jammed straight out of the box, wound up sending it back to Kimber and they never offered me the gun back or a new replacement for that gun. They new they had problems there. They did give me a credit toward a choice of their other firearms. Cost me to ship it to the dealer and I just let him sell it and never saw the gun. I will never buy another Kimber product.

5” Kimbers have been flawless for me. Commander and Officer size tended to be ammo picky and the Solo 9mm I had was a malfunction machine. My Warrior is one of favorite 1911s to shoot and now has a durable finish thanks to Fatal Bert.
The Solo was a beautiful and great feeling gun, but wasn’t even a good paper weight.

I've had mine since 2006 and absolutely love it. I've put thousands of rounds through it to include hollow point, ball, semi wad cutters, etc. Like any 1911, maintenance and proper cleaning is a must. I've owned several other Kimbers and have sold a few in the past. Resale value on a 1911 is hard, unless it is a collectors piece. There isn't the demand for 1911's like there was in the early 2000's. Striker fired pistols, concealed carry ability and higher magazine capacities also take a toll for resale on 1911's. Open carry has pretty much gone away and unless it's cold weather and a jacket is a must, my 1911 doesn't get carried as much. Just my observation.....

I got a Custom Classic in the 90's. I've got at least a couple thousand rounds through it. I've never had a problem or a malfunction with it. I can't speak to any of the later models.

Wanna sell it? I need one for my other hand, lol.

20230525_171314.jpg

Now, I have owned several Kimbers throughout the years. Heck, I even tradeda Spas-12 for a Kimber package deal 14 ish years ago.

I've had a Kimber HD and a few Kimber Pro carry that all had thousands of rounds threw. I'm talking 10K plus of each. Regular spring changes and parts replaced where needed but no issues.

I've bought a few Kimber on good deals, cause they simply "don't " work. After running a few 100 rnds through them to "break in", they ran just fine.

They have a low rate of return from New because of there jam's fresh out the gate AND their customer service has sucked in the past ( no clue in recent years) which is why all the hate.

They started the "custom" 1911 @ an affordable price but never could live up to the name once the lawyers got ahold of them and now everything is a "2" series.

Back
Top Bottom