DPMS panther Oracle 5.56 good start AR

DPMS is not a bad rifle. Don't listen to the haters. The S&W will more than likely hold it value longer.

I don't think anyone is hating on DPMS. But I do believe, especially depending on your expectations of your rifle, their are better options for the same price range. I will say, my first AR ever was a DPMS. It was several years ago. That rifle was fine for the range, and honestly it was actually very accurate at 100 yards. However, if I knew then, what I know now, I would have gone with a PSA, or honestly maybe saved a bit more, and gone with a BCM build, or one of those stripped colt models they have out. Granted, colts were much more expensive when I was looking for my first AR, and being a newb, I didn't know PSA. So if you want a rifle you can put 100 rounds down on a 100 yard range twice a year, the DPMS will be fine. If you want a rifle that you may defend your life with, take a carbine class with, or just want better resale value, get one of the "harder use" rifles mentioned. Personally if you don't want a colt, not that I even have one keep in mind, go with a PSA build kit with either a chrome lined or hammer forged chrome lined barrel. Or build a BCM. BCM makes a bad @$$ rifle. All in all, do your research OP. You can never know too much. Good luck on your decision!

Why not build one exactly how you want?

I'm almost finished with my first build and they are super easy with a few tools.
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_10_04_9180b52ee267239a6e116e7e1240bc82.jpg
built the lower laying in bed.

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_10_04_45b472d9c868f7151e426eed41251fc0.jpg
and finished the upper and lower after work. All I need is a barrel and I'll be shooting.

Why not build one exactly how you want?

I'm almost finished with my first build and they are super easy with a few tools.
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_10_04_9180b52ee267239a6e116e7e1240bc82.jpg
built the lower laying in bed.

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_10_04_45b472d9c868f7151e426eed41251fc0.jpg
and finished the upper and lower after work. All I need is a barrel and I'll be shooting.

I think at first, someone just starting out in the ar world, building one can seem overwhelming. It's really not though. Everything can be built with, a few punches, a rubber mallet, a 20 dollar armorers tool, a lower receiver vice block (really not even necessary), an upper receiver vice block (which I built my own out of two sections of 2x4), some loctite, and the not necessary, but highly recommended 12 dollar "Walt tool/roll pin starter punch for bolt catch.

DPMS = POS..disagree if you want, but that's the case..if it were between the oracle & a smith sport, the S&W is a no brainer...

all of my opinion said, there's no reason to buy either of them..can get a colt complete 6720 for $799...or one of the colt oem models for around $700.

otherwise, PSA and piecing together a complete upper & lower together would be the other way to go if cash is the concern..good luck.

I think at first, someone just starting out in the ar world, building one can seem overwhelming. It's really not though. Everything can be built with, a few punches, a rubber mallet, a 20 dollar armorers tool, a lower receiver vice block (really not even necessary), an upper receiver vice block (which I built my own out of two sections of 2x4), some loctite, and the not necessary, but highly recommended 12 dollar "Walt tool/roll pin starter punch for bolt catch.
I agree. This was my first build and it's not overwhelming at all. The hardest part is figuring out what to buy! Lol.

OP,give Steve a call at @SR Armory,he's right around the corner from hi caliber. And has a few built ar's and plenty of parts in his shop you can check out.

Back
Top Bottom