• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dried beans - would not get soft

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
I have some really old, off brand dried red beans that I bought at the Asian market (off Spring Road in Smyrna). I have tried 2 times to cook them, and both times I think the beans cooked way too long and never got completely soft.

Today was the second attempt. I had a leftover smoked pork picnic bone that I really wanted to use, so I soaked the red beans for about 36 hours, and then cooked them on the stove for over 5 hours and they never got completely soft. They were edible, but still a bit "al dente".

I googled dried bean recipes, and most state that you don't even have to soak them, or at most, soak them about 6 hours. And the recipes also state that you should only cook them for 1-2 hours to get soft.

What am I doing wrong? I will admit these beans are probably 5+ years old. Could it be that when dried beans get that old they require many more hours of cooking time? Or did I just get some bad beans?

Depends on the beans. Traditionally, most hard beans should be soaked for atleast 24 hours, followed by a boil or pressure cook procedure.

Secondly, deller may be right. Try and cut one or break it to make sure its not a marble...

As funny as Deller's comment was, the beans did actually get soft enough to be edible after boiling for 4.5-5 hours. They just never got soft or mushy; they were still chewy with an "al dente" center. They definitely weren't rocks; we did eat them. I was in the mood for red beans (versus black) and so I wanted these to be perfect. We had Cuban In-laws up here for the week prior, and she made black beans, which got soft after soaking only about 12 hours and then cooking about 1.5-2 hours, so I'm just surprised that these took so long and still weren't soft.

I had dinner in one of those high ass restaurants in Chicago not long ago. ( God, I hate Chicago ) And I suspect they bought their beans in an Asian market as well. Did I mention I HATE CHICAGO.

Beans lose oil and resists water as they get old. You will need to soak and cook them longer. Alternatively, ground them and eat like Mexican bean paste, then invest a couple bucks and buy a new bag of beans for what you need them for.

I had dinner in one of those high ass restaurants in Chicago not long ago. ( God, I hate Chicago ) And I suspect they bought their beans in an Asian market as well. Did I mention I HATE CHICAGO.
Sort of related- ordered oysters Rockefeller in a Cincinnati "Red Fish" and they made the damned things with blanched collards! It was like trying to eat a shower curtain.

Beans lose oil and resists water as they get old. You will need to soak and cook them longer. Alternatively, ground them and eat like Mexican bean paste, then invest a couple bucks and buy a new bag of beans for what you need them for.
Dang it. This is what I feared. Today they don't taste better than yesterday either. They sort of have a metallic taste. I didn't think dried beans would go bad, but these are "not good".

Back
Top Bottom