• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Dried beans - would not get soft

I have stored beans and peas for many years, and not had a problem..I only soak for 24 and then slow cook up to 8 hrs I do add butter. Sound like something you don't need to mess with..Think about the electricity cost, Lesson learned with that brand.. I don't spice until maybe 2 hrs before eating..Meat and onions I will add when I start the slow cook. Good luck with your endeavor!

I have some really old, off brand dried red beans that I bought at the Asian market (off Spring Road in Smyrna). I have tried 2 times to cook them, and both times I think the beans cooked way too long and never got completely soft.

Today was the second attempt. I had a leftover smoked pork picnic bone that I really wanted to use, so I soaked the red beans for about 36 hours, and then cooked them on the stove for over 5 hours and they never got completely soft. They were edible, but still a bit "al dente".

I googled dried bean recipes, and most state that you don't even have to soak them, or at most, soak them about 6 hours. And the recipes also state that you should only cook them for 1-2 hours to get soft.

What am I doing wrong? I will admit these beans are probably 5+ years old. Could it be that when dried beans get that old they require many more hours of cooking time? Or did I just get some bad beans?

That's a pretty good description of old beans. They never get exactly right....
Oh yeah and Apalachian is correct. Never ever salt beans until they're fully cooked it makes the skins tough.

Back
Top Bottom