• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dry Fire Training

Draws/presentations

Reloads

Malfunctions

Smoothing out your strides for shooting while moving

Transitions from Primary to Secondary, and back

Clearing doorways and other danger areas

All can be done for free at home, with an empty weapon (and dummy rounds in some cases).

You can practice everything in dry fire that you can in live fire with the exception of recoil control. Much of my dry-fire training is driven by seeing where I'm having trouble in live fire and matches and working to first replicate those problems in my basement followed by smoothing them out. Main problems at present are isolating my trigger finger and positioning the gun for reloads. I'm always spending some time on working transitions, moving explosively, shooting on the move, SHO/WHO shooting, etc.

I'd recommend getting a copy of Dry Fire Reloaded and a selection of reduced-size targets.

I just practice drawing and firing the first shot from concealment. I admittedly don't do it nearly as much as I should or could.
Drawing from the holster to have a smoother presentation. I stand in front of the mirror for 20 min intervals x2 just going through my draw stoke, (Slow is smooth and smooth is fast). It culminates each time in a target acquisition and depressing the trigger until the metallic click happens. I also go through dime washer drills so to speak with my pistols as well. I have wooden dowels I use IOT accomplish this the ends of the have been sanded smooth and Shellacked to create a slippery surface for a washer.
At the range the other day, I was training drawing the pistol fast, which I left with just one round, then changing the mag in real fast time. This is training for under pressure situation. But, live firing at the range. - Believe me, it is not easy. You force your brain to work and to think fast, because you have to drop the mag out, pull the other one from your pocket and shoot back quickly. TRY IT!!
I do the same exercises as all these guys with my carry pistol.

Back
Top Bottom