• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dusty cases and priming .303 British

Dorian

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
15   0
Reaction score
Hiya, I'm new to reloading (and fairly new to ODT for that matter). I just picked up a Frankford Arsenal tumbler and some walnut media, and was wondering- what do you guys do about the resulting dust that likes to precipitate on the cases?

I've read suggestions about using dryer sheets and additives like Flitz, but if those don't get it all off, what's the safest/most efficient way for removing that dust?

Also on the topic of being new to reloading, I have a Lee hand primer and I noticed that while they make a shellholder for your press (at least for their deluxe set), they don't make one for their hand primer in .303 British. What would you guys use/suggest to prime those cases?

I use the same shell plate for my hand primer and the press. I just switch it out on different stages of my loading process. As for the dust on the cases, I don't have much of a problem with that. I tumble my brass in the corn cob media that lyman makes that is already pre-treated and green. I also have an old dish towel that I cut up in small squares and put a few pieces in with the media. Everything usually comes out nice and shiny clean.

Are you using an autoprime? If it is, then it is a Lee #5 shellholder. As far as the dust, it is something inherent with the walnut, which is part of the reason I use the corn cob. I feel the brass comes out cleaner with the corn cob too.

I use corn cob media and a bit of Midway's citrus additive. You'll need to clear the flash holes, but I clean the primer pockets well anyway.

Dust hasn't really been a problem. Canned air? As above, the #5 should work for you.

+1 on switching out the shell holder. Have you de primed yet? A lot of the .303 Brit has berdan primers with the two flash holes and is not as easy to reload. It will break off a decapping pin when you try to decap and size it. Since you said you were new to the process I thought I'd throw that info out there.
Good luck

Thanks for yhe advice, folks. I'd been warned about .303 and Berdan primers before, but being they're PPU I believe they use Boxers. Still, what's the easiest way to check before I deprime?

i use the lyman tuff-nut. pre treated with jewelers rouge. hit them with rubbing alcohol or carb/brake cleaner. no residue left and dust be gone!

Back
Top Bottom