• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

East TX White Bass

SteelRinger

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
The whites are biting here in east TX. It was 82 and sunny here yesterday and a buddy of mine from work had his fishing partner bail out on him at the last minute, so he called me up and asked if I wanted to go. I jumped on the chance to check out the waters out here.

We hit one of the tributary creeks for the Trinity river, which is the feed river for Lake Livingston. Water temps are up, but still cool and the creeks and river have finally dropped after a couple of weeks of rain. Still a bit stained but clearing up.

We got out there around 11 and after a 30 minute ride to the area we wanted to fish, we started casting. My buddy picked up two in his first 5 casts, but then it slowed down. A lot. We ended up with 13 over 3.5 hours. That's when we ran back up the creek to an area of rapids. The thought was that some fish may have gotten trapped above the rapids when the water dropped. We could just beach the boat, walk up the bank above the rapids and then wade in just above them to fish the deeper pools right above the rapids. He was absolutely right. In a little pool just above the rapids, we slammed them. We had our limit (25 each) in 40 minutes and the only reason it took that long was that we only had one stringer so we had to switch off. One would catch a fish and take the stringer and then the other would cast and reel in his fish and we would hand the stringer over. It literally was one per cast most of the time.

Anyway, here is a pic of the fish. Not the big 2-3 pounders that you can catch, but a good bunch of good eaters.

i152.photobucket.com_albums_s192_HandgunHTR_Forum_20Pics_IMG_0696_zpsubdyco55.jpg

Looks like fun! We have a river in NW Georgia where the white bass run is like that. It's hard to believe there are times where you can catch so many it actually get's boring. Enjoy it while it lasts! :)

Back
Top Bottom