• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fishing for Bass in Ponds / Small Lakes

CardsFan

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
0   0
Reaction score
I spent much of much my early life Largemouth bass fishing in Kentucky and Missouri/Kanaes ponds (mostly small), and I'd bet these same tactics apply to LM Bass anywhere.

I think this is important to keep fishing alive among youngsters, especially when more special interest groups are targeting tax dollars. Those of us buying a fishing/hunting license are the ONLY ones keeping these sports alive. We've got to keep these traditions alive going foreword.

I had some success fishing small ponds/lakes as a young kid, and my Dad taught me the basics. And, at that time, reading religiously a monthly magazine called "Fishing Facts". The general tactics applies to both northern and southern ponds to some degree.

First of all, buy a friggin' fishing and/or hunting license if you are at an age that requires it. Many people think this comes from general tax dollars, and it doesn't. It is sport-minded folks that keep these sports alive. Those that say "I pay Georgia taxes each year and have a say if we can fish or hunt" can K.M.A. Those people have no say because they ain't funding what is important to us.

So, to those folks, F.O.

Some things I learned after experimentation in small bodies of water:
1) Be keenly aware of of how your footsteps approach the pond.
  • Don't walk normally like you would walk in your house or down your neighborhood street. Pay attention to how hard your foot hits the ground. A Largemouth can not only see and hear, but "feel" your footsteps the closer you get to the edge of the pond through their lateral line. Walk as softly (and as low profile as you can) without making hard contact with the ground with each step.
2) Remember, you are stalking fish in small bodies of water. If you can shut the hell up, do so.
  • Don't talk unless you need to, such as yelling a warning to friend they are about to step on a Copperhead. On second thought, probably better to yell to your friend and come back to that spot 30 minutes later.
  • If you turn your ankle, cuss under your breath instead of yelling out "MF'er!)

3) Keep a low profile, and use cover (such as any available bush or tree):
  • This is the weirdest thing I learned. I'm not sure if it's hiding behind cover or how shallow the Bass may be at the time of making your cast, probably both being factors
  • The lower you can keep your profile, the better. This probably isn't going to make much difference if Bass are located in deeper water or a long cast away. But if they are shallow or close the bank, I think this DOES make a difference. If there is cover such as a tree, hide behind it as much as you can as you make your approach, and make a soft splash when your lure hits the water. If you can crouch walking towards the bank, do it. You will get strange looks from other fishermen in the area, but just smile at them after you catch a Bass.
  • If you're around other fishermen who have been stomping around the bank, move away from them as much as possible, and cuss them out muttering under your breath to avoid a gunfight. :)

STEALTH is the key, both audibly and visually, especially when Bass are shallow. I'm not saying they are smart or dumb, but evolution has imparted survival skills that they cannot possibly formulate as rational thought, but thousands of years of evolving can interpret as "don't eat that damned thing".

We have a pond where we raise catfish. They are fed each morning by my throwing a bucket of floating food from the end of the dock. I don’t feel I have a particularly heavy footfall but when I get within 60 yards or so of the pond edge, approaching from a point not visible below the edge of the pond, they start to roil the top of the water.
The world record largemouth was caught from a small pond in Georgia that has now filled with sediment and ceased to exist. It was caught on a borrowed lure and later eaten. Only by chance was it weighed before it was consumed.
one thing I would add to your excellent list would be wear muted color clothing, preferably in colors that do not reflect much light in the ultra violet range.

It sure does, but I suspect fish 60 feet or so out from the bank probably weren't impacted as much. Unless you're 7'6" tall of course :)

It didn't dawn on me until my 20's about the impact of how hard you walk up to a pond (or even shore fishing on a lake).
That made a big difference, and I usually made casts close to the bank on both sides before starting to fish deeper water further out. Looking back, I probably should have been doing the direct opposite, and just moved as lightly as I could along the banks.

I also experimented with the color of t-shirts I wore at one point when fishing ponds, but that applied mostly when casting parallel with the bank.. It seemed I did better with wearing gray or blue shirts depending on cloud cover (or lack of it).

Back
Top Bottom