• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Economy o/u shotgun question

you did say economy O/U

my brother has a Stoeger that has been very good.. well over 8 years old..

I didn't care for the Stoeger looks and have a Yildiz... Really a nice shotgun for $400... it has ejectors and a single selective trigger. It points well and I've not had a single issue.

I have the aluminum frame gun and it's fine.. I only use it for dove or quail. If you are going to do a lot of skeet or trap then I'd opt for the Steel receiver that academy is not importing..

mine is a 20 ga... If you want a 12 then the yildiz will kick you without some work due to it's lightness.. simply adding weight to the stock and forearm will fix that along with the made-to-fit Limsaver pad Academy carries.

go check it out.. Oh yeah I've owned and still own some expensive shotguns..

Hmm, I'm in the market for a 300-400 O/U in 20 or 12 gauge for the occasional trip to Etowah Valley Clay range. So a Yildiz or Baik all? Any places local that have them?

Probably the best low cost O/U is a semi-auto.

The problem with a bargain O/U is barrel regulation (getting both barrels to fire to the same point of impact). I've messed around with less expensive, and some not so less expensive, O/U through the years and poor regulation is common. You will often hear O/U shooters mention that they hit better with the first shot or second shot and they don't know why. It's because one of the two barrels shoots well to their natural POA, but the other one doesn't hit the same spot and they never test patter the gun, so they don't know it.

I'm looking at a couple of different shotguns for my son for Christmas. I'm looking at a CZ over/under and a Stoeger. They both are around the same price. We will probably shoot some skeet, trap ,doves, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Check out the Yildiz O/U at Academy. One of the best deals going. Made in Turkey, imported by Academy, warranted by Briley (I think). Lots of positive reviews by owners over at Shotgun World and other sites.

The CZs are also good, but a bit more expensive.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

Probably the best low cost O/U is a semi-auto.

The problem with a bargain O/U is barrel regulation (getting both barrels to fire to the same point of impact). I've messed around with less expensive, and some not so less expensive, O/U through the years and poor regulation is common. You will often hear O/U shooters mention that they hit better with the first shot or second shot and they don't know why. It's because one of the two barrels shoots well to their natural POA, but the other one doesn't hit the same spot and they never test patter the gun, so they don't know it.
If you know who Rob Roberts is http://www.robrobertsgunworks.com/ He has publicly stated that the one brand of gun (regardless of price) who's both barrels are consistently regulated to point of aim is Browning. His credentials are solid and trust worthy. You are right That if you don't pattern your gun you will never know where it hits. Chokes can also affect point of impact. Not all chokes are made the same. And if the gun isn't regulated that can really give a guy fits.

Back
Top Bottom