• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

***Edit*** Who Has The Georgia Code On School Carry?

I think the OP is specifically asking about an employee of the school being able to carry.

When I was a teacher I was given permission by the principal and superintendent to carry concealed at all times, which I did. That was the ONLY permission I needed. Granted, laws may have changed since I stopped teaching in 2018.

A non- prohibited/lawful weapons carrier CAN carry a weapon into a school safety zone to pickup or drop off a student, including inside the school building if the school requires entering the build to sign out a student. It’s been that way for years for a permit holder and now applies to non-prohibited persons as well, not thing new.

416-11-127.1(c)(7)
c. The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:
7. “A lawful weapons carrier when such person carries or picks up a student within a school safety zone, at a school function, or on a bus or other transportation furnished by a school or a lawful weapons carrier when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked within a school safety zone or is in transit through a designated school safety zone”
You’re not interpreting that correctly. No where does it say you can enter the school building carrying. It’s saying it must be in the vehicle.

I think the OP is specifically asking about an employee of the school being able to carry.

When I was a teacher I was given permission by the principal and superintendent to carry concealed at all times, which I did. That was the ONLY permission I needed. Granted, laws may have changed since I stopped teaching in 2018.
Nothing has changed.

You’re not interpreting that correctly. No where does it say you can enter the school building carrying.
The school safety zone INCLUDES all buildings.

School safety zone” means in or on any real property or building owned by or leased to:
  1. Any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or local board of education and used for elementary or secondary education; and
  2. Any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or other institution of postsecondary education.
Do you even read bro?

The school safety zone INCLUDES all buildings.

School safety zone” means in or on any real property or building owned by or leased to:
  1. Any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or local board of education and used for elementary or secondary education; and
  2. Any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or other institution of postsecondary education.
Do you even read bro?
First, you might want to check your own reading comprehension skills before talking to me like that.
So, you’re seriously going to ignore your own quote? “when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked within a school safety zone or is in transit through a designated school safety zone”

First, you might want to check your own reading comprehension skills before talking to me like that.
So, you’re seriously going to ignore your own quote? “when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked within a school safety zone or is in transit through a designated school safety zone”
I’m not ignoring anything. If fact, unlike you I highlighted the whole paragraph. There is an “or” in front that portion you highlighted that separates it from the exemption of carrying in the school safety zone. Again, reading is fundamental.

7. A lawful weapons carrier when such person carries or picks up a student within a school safety zone, at a school function, or on a bus or other transportation furnished by a school
OR

a lawful weapons carrier when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked within a school safety zone or is in transit through a designated school safety zone”

Not to enter yalls great conversation, but those are two separate subsections in the statute. There is one for picking up children and carrying a weapon, and one for having within your vehicle. It is also true, that any person can be granted the authority to carry a firearm but has to be done in writing, etc.

They’re an “or” in front that statement that separates it from the exemption of carrying in the school safety. Again, reading is fundamental.

7. “A lawful weapons carrier when such person carries or picks up a student within a school safety zone, at a school function, or on a bus or other transportation furnished by a school OR a lawful weapons carrier when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked within a school safety zone or is in transit through a designated school safety zone”
Ok, you win. You’re legally allowed to carry while driving inside the school to pick up your student. How’s that?

GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet you got anything? Seems like you used to need approval on the gun model/caliber/serial you carried. Feel like new law was passed last year?
There are dozens of different exceptions written into the Georgia law about weapons at schools.

One of them is when you have written permission from school officials, and that permission has to I.D. the gun specifically, AND it had to have a specific expiration date.

This is not new; I think it was part of the original school weapons law 30 something years ago.

Back
Top Bottom