• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Educate me on rotary tumbling with steel pins please

You guys seriously don't have problems with pistol brass hanging up on your expander/powder funnel? I'm talking Dillon equipment here. I polished it to a mirror finish, and the brass still hangs up.

I'll never, ever have anything to do with SS tumbled brass again.

Hell, I'll pay a premium for dirty brass over SS tumbled!

If I'm doing something wrong, I'd love to know, because I sure can't figure it out. I have to lube the damned cases to run them. Never again.

To cut tumbling time, I pre-soak the brasses overnight in detergent and water. This cuts my tumbling time in about half. My personal objective in wet tumbling is to obtain brass with a "jewelry" finish....

I have been doing just that. Soak 24hrs with just the detergent then add the Limishine right before I tumble. Tumbled for about 1.5hrs in the Harbor Freight dual drum.
Worked great.
I knew I read it somewhere.
i52.photobucket.com_albums_g2_michaelsopa_Mobile_20Uploads_182b7f836ae342342e898520ec49cdb9cbd.jpg

You guys seriously don't have problems with pistol brass hanging up on your expander/powder funnel? I'm talking Dillon equipment here. I polished it to a mirror finish, and the brass still hangs up.

If I'm doing something wrong, I'd love to know, because I sure can't figure it out. I have to lube the damned cases to run them. Never again.

What type of DIES, CARBIDE?

I used one of those for years. Never really ha an overheating problem unless I put too much in it. It would easily hold 3k of 9mm and run for an hour before I changed the water and ran it another hour. The biggest problem I had was I ran so much brass that I would ware out the drum and it would crack around the bolt holes.

I run a Dillon 650 to reload. I don't have any problems reloading 9mm, 45acp or 38spl and I wash all by brass then dry tumble using corn cobb media.

What type of DIES, CARBIDE?

Carbide. The normal Dillon carbide die sets.

I have the same problem with new brass, too-- it's just too clean; it sticks to the expander funnel. I have to put them in a loading tray, and spray lube them (One Shot, usually). Otherwise, I have to beat the handle up with a rubber mallet-- and again, that's after polishing the expander to mirror-bright.

If it were one funnel, I'd blame the funnel. But it's 9, 40, 45, .44. Maybe it's just a Dillon problem, but in any case, I'll stick with corn-cob tumbled brass to avoid the headache.

Carbide. The normal Dillon carbide die sets.

I have the same problem with new brass, too-- it's just too clean; it sticks to the expander funnel. I have to put them in a loading tray, and spray lube them (One Shot, usually). Otherwise, I have to beat the handle up with a rubber mallet-- and again, that's after polishing the expander to mirror-bright.

If it were one funnel, I'd blame the funnel. But it's 9, 40, 45, .44. Maybe it's just a Dillon problem, but in any case, I'll stick with corn-cob tumbled brass to avoid the headache.

Call and ask for TIM, in service he may have a suggestion. HAS the alignment been checked with the alignment tool, or did someone else set this up for you?

Call and ask for TIM, in service he may a suggestion. HAS the alignment been checked with the alignment tool, or did someone else set this up for you?

I'll do that-- thanks for the suggestion. This is my second 550; I"ve been using them since 1994-ish. 10K on the first one, probably another 10K on this one. Had a hiatus in the middle where I got out of handgun competition.

I set them both up myself; first time with another Dillon owner; I don't know anything about an alignment tool.

Thanks.

That's what a DILLON, FAMILY MEMBER TRIES TO DO WHEN ANOTHER FAMILY HAS AN OPPORTUNITY TO HELP...

THE 650 is a great, great, unit, the 550 is a good unit also

good luck, you will find the answer to this opportunity, so keep digging...

Back
Top Bottom