• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Elderly neighbor

Boogar Presley

Army Icon Supporter
Ordinary average guy
24   0
Reaction score
Last night I got a knock on the door. My elderly neighbor said she heard something out back of her house, it scared her so she grabbed her 38. She pulled back the hammer and it got stuck there and she didn't know what to do or who else to ask.
It's an old Charter Arms Undercover 38spl snub belonged to her long deceased father
She asked me if I could fix it. I got it to release the hammer, I barely got the cylinder open then unloaded it. She's not wealthy. Can someone tell me where to take it and roughly how much she'd be looking at to get it squared away in working order ?
I can roughly pull the trigger, it rotates the cylinder but it feels all gummed up everywhere1here are some pics I just took. Pics say a thousand words, it's got rust, gunk and dirt all over
I'm not a gun smith, don't have the tools or know how to take apart an old revolver
Any help would be appreciated

I know about steel wool and oil, been using it for years. It's got rust on the outside and by how hard it is to function it's most likely got rust inside also. Doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned
Looking for help finding a local gunsmith to go thru it for her and how much she's looking at
IMG_1803.JPG
IMG_1804.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG
IMG_1806.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG

It's a little past that
It’s probably old wd 40. People used to spray their guns with this and it just gums up. Before you take it anywhere, watch a couple of revolver cleaning videos. Some hoppes cleaning solvent, maybe a little steel wool ( here and there) and some hoppes lube rubbed lightly and it should come back to working conditions. Don’t be scared, it’s not hard, and YouTube has plenty of resources in case you get confused.

It’s probably old wd 40. People used to spray their guns with this and it just gums up. Before you take it anywhere, watch a couple of revolver cleaning videos. Some hoppes cleaning solvent, maybe a little steel wool ( here and there) and some hoppes lube rubbed lightly and it should come back to working conditions. Don’t be scared, it’s not hard, and YouTube has plenty of resources in case you get confused.
I'm not working on it. It if it were just the exterior dirt and rust, no problem. Steel wool, oil and qtips but it needs to broken down, most likely needs new springs

Sounds like old, dried grease or possibly rust. A member up that way would probably clean it up for her.

Edit to add, don’t see any cartridges, assume she had some?
Some good Samaritan needs to clean the gun, grab a couple boxes of wadcutters, and get her to the range to get her some basics.

Back
Top Bottom