• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric powder measures

Powerhouse

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
I know some of you guys have got to be using one and I have a few questions.

How accurate is it? Reviews claim +/- .1 grain, but I would rather hear your experience.

How consistent is it when throwing a charge? I use mostly stick powder and always had issues with consistency. I don't expect there is much that could be done about it, just wondering does it cause any problems.

I have been looking at models from RCBS, Lyman, Pact and a new one from Hornady. Any input from your experience with them would be appreciated.

I've used the Lyman, and as the previous post stated, let them warm up. I'm not to keen on them myself. I've also used Pact digital scales for several years, but not when I'm loading for match grade precision. The electronic ones are definitely affected by their enviroment, plus they tend to react to slow to suit me. I still use a hand trickler into an RCBS 10-10 scale when I'm doing precision loading. Don't get wrong, I'm not against technology. I love my power case trimmer, and trim mate case prep unit. As for measuring my powder, the old is superior in many ways in my book. Chuckdog

I use the RCBS and love it when loading range fodder, but like chuckdog I like the old ways when it comes to making tight groups at long distance.

I'll use the RCBS and double check it from time to time and have no issues. I really like the way I can change out the powder without turning the thing upside down.

That really answers my question.

The reason I was asking is because my old powder dump is no longer usable. I was checking out new ones and thought it may be a good deal.

When I load, it is only one box at a time and done to ensure that every round is identical. Judging by your experiences, the tried and true will continue to work and save me a buck or three.

Last edited:
So, I've gone back to looking at manual powder measures. I used a RCBS uniflow for many years and it worked fine, but I wasn't keen on it chopping powder. I know that when using 4350 and 3031 it is going to happen but it still bugged me.

I am looking at the Lee Perfect powder measure, but I have never used anything made by Lee. Any thoughts on their products? I don't need the most expensive or the fanciest name, just one that will get the job done with durability and reliability being chief concerns.

I use mostly Lee equipment (budget, of course), but I don't have the Perfect Powder. I use the Pro Auto Disk on my press. But I have a friend who uses the PP, and has nothing but good things to say about it - especially at low charge weights for .38 target fodder.

The Lee works, however it does have it's shortcomings. The only functional complaint I have is the lever/handle. When using a powder tray, the lever stops right in it. The unit works great though. It's as accurate as my RCBS. If a fellow is imaginative, Im sure with an extension tube or lever mod, my complaint could be fixed. I use mine when doing long runs of .223 with ball type powder where weighing the charge is occassional. I'll zero my scale with the empty brass, charge the case, then weigh the combination. Any of the measure type vs trickle is likely to cut a stick of 4350 occasionally. I admit, that factor has me using Varget, the Alliant Reloader family of powders, and the short cut series offered by Hodgdon. I hate chopping powder too!

Back
Top Bottom