• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electric rust removal

This looks like it would be good for cleaning up old straight razors. You wouldn't have to worry about damaging the edge more or spend as much time scrubbing at the pitted spots.:rolleyes:

One of the guys on our local AR board did something similar to remove the rust from some jeep wheels with a couple 50 gal food grade barrels cut in half. I don't know specifically what he used for the solution.

Finally. Knew my wife had some arm and hammer washing powder.
Changed it out and wow...you can see the anode just bubbling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BangBang BangBang ... he knows the recipe. It works too!
I normally use Arm & Hammer washing SODA. Judging from his pics though, whatever he used to make his electrolyte solution is working.

I use a battery charger that has an amp meter so I can tell how much amperage is flowing through my solution.

Scorpius Scorpius you can increase and decrease the amperage flow by changing the % of washing soda in your mixture.

Also, clean your anode metal off every once in awhile. As rust builds up on it your amperage will drop.

Have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the results. Majority came out with nice results, if pitted it's still pitted of course, but no signs of rust.

Once I put it washing soda and clean water, I could see the steady stream of bubbles going up the anode and bubbles coming from each clip.

I'd say the only issue was it seems like it turned all the rust to a very thick grease almost tar like substance. It wiped off with some effort and lots of hoppes and paper towels, but underneath all the metal was smooth and clean.

Next time I might try using my wire wheel to shine up the anode a bit for more flow. I did wire brush it a small bit but just to knock off rust.

Pretty cool experiment and the kids actually enjoyed helping put it together and checking out the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom