• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Electronic Powder Scale Recommendation

The charge master scales seem to be hit or miss. Remember that most reloading scales resolve .1 + or -. The gempro 250 resolves .02 + or - .04. I like mine but it doesn't trickle charge well. I use a 505 to great affect.

If you do get a charge master, the straw mod and learning how to reprogram it help a ton.

get a check weight for your beam scale . I use a chargemaster . I am not in love with it . I end up re-zeroing a lot while using it . It works . All of the electronics have quirks

Unless your shooting competitively or beyond 500 yds you really dont need to the kernel accuracy. The gempro 250 is the cheapest semi accurate if your wanting to check for safety

I like the idea of a test-weight, also the use of an inexpensive electronic scale as a second check. I am only trying to prevent a serious over charge for pistol shooting. If I had a 10grain test weight, I would have probably found the problem of the large counterweight on the beam scale being skewed. Now, where to get one??

I like the idea of a test-weight, also the use of an inexpensive electronic scale as a second check. I am only trying to prevent a serious over charge for pistol shooting. If I had a 10grain test weight, I would have probably found the problem of the large counterweight on the beam scale being skewed. Now, where to get one??
I will only powder charge 30-40 at a time and stand them up. I will check charge weight with electronic scales every 5-10 but I do a visual inspection as well for safety.

I use the Hornady electronic scale that came with my lock and load kit. I've never had an issue, granted I'm not loading super accurate rounds for a bolt gun. I load 308 and 300 blackout for AR's and 9mm, 38/357, and 45 for pistols. I always choose a charge in the mid range of Hornady's recipes, so there is some play room in case of over charge, but the powder dispenser always throws within + or - .3 grains of what I set it at.

I will only powder charge 30-40 at a time and stand them up. I will check charge weight with electronic scales every 5-10 but I do a visual inspection as well for safety.
I am using a Dillon 650 progressive, but that would not have helped. It was only when I pulled the trigger on a test fire that I knew something was wrong....the slightly skewed counterweight that measured 7.9 grains (9.3 max) several, maybe 10 times before I put in a bullet to start. It was when I touched the counterweight with my finger with what I thought was a 7.9gr charge, and the scale pegged, that I measured the 12+ grains. I have since loaded and fired maybe 50 or so rounds with no problem. I am sure that I can dick with the load and tighten up the group a little, but these loads are fine for plinking with run-of-the-mill P220's.
I use the Hornady electronic scale that came with my lock and load kit. I've never had an issue, granted I'm not loading super accurate rounds for a bolt gun. I load 308 and 300 blackout for AR's and 9mm, 38/357, and 45 for pistols. I always choose a charge in the mid range of Hornady's recipes, so there is some play room in case of over charge, but the powder dispenser always throws within + or - .3 grains of what I set it at.
my over charge was in the neighborhood of 3gr from the max published load.....ouch

Back
Top Bottom