• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

EmDrive May Generate Warp-Like Field, NASA Engineers Discover

"Eventually teams in China and the US, including a group at NASA that investigates fringe proposals, constructed their own versions for testing. These devices promptly surprised everyone by working even when nobody quite understood how."

No. It "worked" even when it shouldn't have. Ie; the control apparatus.

I thought that the speed of light represented a constant and completely unchanging factor. It would seem that the only way one could get the measurements reported, would be if you were to shorten the distance. Space-time seems more malleable than the speed of light from everything I've learned. Haven't read much of the current quantum stuff lately, though.

And gravity and electromagnetism have a lot more in common than you might think. We understand pretty well how both of them work, but not really why. As for conceptualizing the underlying principles of gravity, the closest we can really come is with vague analogies of bowling balls on trampolines. Even that doesn't get you past the basics.

I thought that the speed of light represented a constant and completely unchanging factor. It would seem that the only way one could get the measurements reported, would be if you were to shorten the distance. Space-time seems more malleable than the speed of light from everything I've learned. Haven't read much of the current quantum stuff lately, though.

I am but a simple small town redneck but I distinctly remember seeing in a word picture somewheres that there is a theory gaining acceptance that the speed of light can possibly vary in relation to gravity.

If a blackhole is a supermass of gravity that can capture light that would likely mean that prior to the even horizon gravity si either speeding light up towards it or slowing it down as it tries to escape.

Anybody had the Taco Bell Sriracha burrito?

I am but a simple small town redneck but I distinctly remember seeing in a word picture somewheres that there is a theory gaining acceptance that the speed of light can possibly vary in relation to gravity.

If a blackhole is a supermass of gravity that can capture light that would likely mean that prior to the even horizon gravity si either speeding light up towards it or slowing it down as it tries to escape.

Anybody had the Taco Bell Sriracha burrito?

Haven't read that theory, but from what I understand, it's been long understood that photons have both particle and wave properties hence the corona effect during a solar eclipse. The belief that the speed of light is a constant could still be preserved, even in the presence of a super-gravitational singularity (black hole) if you accept that the fabric of space time is what is being stretched or compressed. Thus, while the speed of light seems to change relative to the observer, the light is traveling the same speed, simply over a greater distance or smaller distance. It's not that gravity changes the speed of light, but that the rulers get shorter or longer or the clocks run slower or faster due to gravitational influence.... Don't know if this will stand up to Occam's Razor in the long term. Definitely in for more info if you can point me to anything you found interesting on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom