Encore Rifle / Pistol / Shotgun / BP Platform

flyingfrog509

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Nothing special here
160   1
Reaction score
The Encore Platform

Overview
The Encore is a single shot platform with interchangeable barrels that can be configured as a pistol or rifle. You can purchase them as a pistol, rifle, shotgun, or muzzle loader. Options include a multitude of calibers, stainless or blue finishes, barrel lengths, and stocks. Popular rifle calibers readily include 22LR, .204, .223, .22-250, .243, 7mm-08, .308, 30-30, 30-06, 45-70, 7mm mag, and 300 win mag often in 24 to 28 inch lengths. Custom rifle barrels come in any length from 16 inches on up and many other calibers from mild to wild. Pistol barrels for the encore include 22LR, 357mag, 44mag, .243, 7mm-08, .308, 460 and 500 Smith & Wesson. Pistol barrels typically are 8 to 15 inches in length. If you can dream it up and have the courage to pull the trigger then changes are you can have a barrel to suit your fancy. The options are nearly limitless. Never mix a pistol barrel with a rifle stock since that is against the law. (please check your local laws to confirm)

Many folks give the Encore a bad rap when it comes to accuracy. I personally own one and know a few others, accuracy is acceptable to exceptional. There are many options for improving accuracy for a stock Encore, among them trigger work, a tighter hinge pin, free floated forends, and custom match grade barrels.

Impression
I have a stainless steel Encore with the black synthetic stock set. The stainless is more of a brushed look and suites my needs. The synthetic stock is very durable and doesn’t mar easily in the field. The comb on the stock is quite flat and ideal for scopes with varying eye relief. I have three barrels for my Encore and they all interchange with ease with tight lock up. Eventually I’ll try one of the over sized hinge pins because that is one of the inexpensive accuracy improvements. Not all barrels fit well with and over sized pin. The trigger breaks clean and consistently at 3.5 pounds with no over travel. If you like a lighter or heavier trigger they can be worked on for about 60-75 dollars. I will eventually lighten my trigger with a Bellm kit. It is a real benefit to have the same trigger on my 22 long as my 300 win mag. I can afford to practice all day long with my 22 then swap to my 300 win mag and have the confidence of knowing exactly when the hammer is going to release.

The original pro-hunter barrel felt a little bit long to me at 26 inches. With a 24 inch barrel the Encore is several inches shorter than a Remington SPS tactical with a 20 inch barrel. Over all the Encore is a compact package for in the woods. The Encore is not overly light weight but then again it could be.

Range Report / Accuracy
Accuracy will depend on the fit of the configured pistol/rifle and finding the right ammo for the barrel. Often the barrels are longer than standard bolt action rifles so the harmonics are different.

Here are some examples.
Stock .22LR &#8211; Typically will shoot about ½” groups at 50 yards with Wal-Mart Remington cheapo ammo.
NOTE: I’ve tried several brands of ammo and some yeild groups twice as big but that is my barrel.

Stock .243 &#8211; No official results yet, but certainly minute of deer. I’d guess it to be right at 1” at 100 yards give or take.

Stock 300 win mag (pro-hunter) &#8211; 1.25” at 100 yards using Federal 180 grain ammo (the cheap stuff from walmart)

Bullberry 300 win mag &#8211; I’ve seen it shoot 3 shots touching side to side at 100 yards.

More range reports coming

Last edited:
Mt two favorite Encore barrels are my 24 " blue 243, my last range session I was shooting 3 shot groups, 85 gr Federal BTSP at 100m that you could cover with a quarter. The other is a 26" SS 204 Ruger, on a good day I can shoot 5 shot groups, Federal 39 gr blitzking that you could cover with a dime. The 204 is the fastest, flattest round I have ever shot.

did you ever trade this

Sold it off in favor of bolt guns, then ended up buying back two. One for me and one for my son so when we want to stalk we can have one in the chamber with the hammer down and not worry about sticks catching the safety or trigger. I'll have to post some new info once we get them to the range. I can tell you that the one is an older frame and it has a much better stock trigger than the newer lawyer friendly frames.

Finally took the .22LR barrel back out. It was a little windy and apparently I changed my point of aim at one point in this 10 shoot group. Either way the 10 shot group is still right at 3/4 inch at 50 yards no sand bags and a stock trigger. Might have to repeat this test on my stainless frame that has the Bellm trigger enhancements.

Tree rats...you have been warned. (even if I'm not all that proud of this grouping)

Attachments

• Encore_AmEagle38gHP_22LR_10shot.JPG
    Encore_AmEagle38gHP_22LR_10shot.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 26
I have an Encore chambered in 338-06 and love it.When i first bought it,i had an accuracy problem-it would not group better than 2" @ 100yds from sand bags.I sent it back to TC and received it back in 3 weeks with a letter stating that the bore had been lapped.took the same loads back to the range and WOW!She grouped 5 rounds under 5/8" @100yds!nothing else has been done to the rifle-stock everything.

Back
Top Bottom