loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
IMG_3476.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3474.JPG
So this is going to be my first attempt at an English style oil finish.
The stock: not the greatest but has great grain. When I got the stock it had chips dings etc. somebody had also put a coat of shellac over the original finish. The basket weave style checkering had either lifted or was damaged.so I lifted and sanded out as much of it as possible. So it's still faint in some areas. So instead of tossing the stock I figured it would make a good practice peice. Here it is sanded to 1k grit, which shows any and all imperfections!!

If you are going to be putting a clear on top, go to WalMart automotive section and get some 2000 grit sand paper. You can get it to almost glass finish if you want by sanding between coats. Buy a couple of packs because it will clog easily being so fine. Looking good so far, how long does it stain have to cure?

Normally an oil finish requires many coats. I use 000 steel wool between coats. Eventhalpy you get a nice gloss finish or you use the steel woil for a satin/matte finish. More to it though than wipe on, wipe off.

If you are going to be putting a clear on top, go to WalMart automotive section and get some 2000 grit sand paper. You can get it to almost glass finish if you want by sanding between coats. Buy a couple of packs because it will clog easily being so fine. Looking good so far, how long does it stain have to cure?

The finish will be a mixture of boiled linseed oil, turpentine, Venetian turpentine, and beeswax that had been blended over heat for a slurry.

Cure time is based on how heavy of a coat applied and temp

IMG_3440.JPG
So here is the slurry after mixing. Boiled linseed oil, gum spirits turpentine, and beeswax. Now some will placed into a smaller jar and thinned as I go. First 10 coats will probably be full strength. 11-20 will be 75% slurry 25% thinner. 21- 40 will be a 50/50 mix. 41- 60 will be 25% slurry and 75% thinner. Once you get past the first full strength coats drying time will be decreased. Japan dryers can be added to speed things up. With my work schedule it's hit or miss on having time on a day to day .basis.

Back
Top Bottom