• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Estate sale guns

burkecountydeer

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
6   0
Reaction score
I was visiting a local gun store and they said they pick up most of there used guns at estate sales . What exactly is an estate sale and how do you find out about them ? I can't find much info on this . Thanks

Usually an estate sale by today's standards are when someone passes away and leaves their belongings to a relative that is not interested in keeping assets as an inheritance. So they either sell them at an estate sale or hire a business to liquidate the assets.

Not sure on how you find these as an individuals other than maybe driving around or FB marketplace or similar.

Go to www.estatesales.net and sign up for the areas of interest and locations. You will get an email with alerts you can scroll through. It’s kind of hit or miss.

I was visiting a local gun store and they said they pick up most of there used guns at estate sales . What exactly is an estate sale and how do you find out about them ? I can't find much info on this . Thanks
Here is one I used to look at often, but they didn't have a lot of auctions in GA. One time they had French MAS 49/56s listed. They go through an FFL of course.

1704567037109.png

As others have said estate sales are when someone passes away and all of the stuff is sold. In the case of guns, usually one family member would contact a local gun shop and ask if they would want to purchase all of the gun stuff for one price. Normally unless someone in the family is knowledgeable enough to have an idea of FFL/selling laws, they just want to cash out for a one time deal that is fully legal. The shops make an offer and the family can take it or leave it.

I had a friend out of state that was going thru some medical issues. I went over and inventoried his guns and gave him prices for selling the stuff. One price was fair market value, or what he could get it he advertised it locally and was willing to wait a few months for the right buyer (some of them were not your usual rifles/pistols). One was a price where they would sell within a few days (lower than fair market). He took the list to a local shop to see what they would offer and I was surprised that they made him what I would consider a very fair offer and I suggested he sell them to the shop and wash his hands and be done with it in one afternoon, instead of dealing with selling the stuff piece by piece.

I had thought about posting an ad (this was quite a few years ago) in a local paper to help with people needing to sell family gun collections (or purchasing them outright) but of course then you get into the whole "you need an FFL as you are buying and selling guns for profit" thing and decided to not pursue that business plan.

Sign up for email alerts at Sunset Auctions in Thomson. Sometimes well worth the time to attend, sometimes not.

Back
Top Bottom