• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Estate sale guns

You need to be able to strike first before the auction company gets involved to avoid all the middle men. That is where the real deals are.

As soon as something is advertised publicly all the prices have gone up significantly.

Kind of hard I know but that is how the gun shops do it.

Never seen to many good deals at one if a company ran the sale
There usually won't be if they have anyone working for them at the sale that knows anything about guns/ammo/reloading.

I've gotten some amazing stuff at estate sales (up North or in Cali) but not so much around GA as it's still considered a little uncouth to hold an on-premise sale in your family home.

That said, I've been a farm house auction in Ohio where two momos bid up a NIB Winchester Model 190 .22 to $475. This was in 1996. I thought I was going to faint from the observed stupidity.

There usually won't be if they have anyone working for them at the sale that knows anything about guns/ammo/reloading.

I've gotten some amazing stuff at estate sales (up North or in Cali) but not so much around GA as it's still considered a little uncouth to hold an on-premise sale in your family home.

That said, I've been a farm house auction in Ohio where two momos bid up a NIB Winchester Model 190 .22 to $475. This was in 1996. I thought I was going to faint from the observed stupidity.
I was at a local estate sale, with a fair number of guns. Price about where you expect them,

Until a S&W Mod. 28 hit the block. Presentation case. Really nice but nothing out of the ordinary, It ran up to $4500. Turns out deceased was a state trooper (GSP) and the gun was a retirement present. Also turns out there were two factions in the family - never got the details - who didn't really want the gun, but didn't want the other faction to have it either. Ran it up until one side ran out of money I suppose.

So you never know.

I was at a local estate sale, with a fair number of guns. Price about where you expect them,

Until a S&W Mod. 28 hit the block. Presentation case. Really nice but nothing out of the ordinary, It ran up to $4500. Turns out deceased was a state trooper (GSP) and the gun was a retirement present. Also turns out there were two factions in the family - never got the details - who didn't really want the gun, but didn't want the other faction to have it either. Ran it up until one side ran out of money I suppose.

So you never know.
I've one they can bid on, LOL.

The best deals come when there is a time crunch involved like having to empty the house to get it on the market. We did that for my in-laws house and we were down to giving stuff away or throw it in a dumpster.
When I ran a sales crew for a liquidator in SF, on Sunday afternoons I'd tell the girls up front to give EVERY customer a 45 gallon trash bag upon entry and tell them to fill it up for $15. If it fit, it was included.

I went to the mitch werbell estate auction but from what I understood, the guns were being handled outside of the estate sale. I did get a couple things though- Werbells Marlboro man shearling vest, a Robert E Lee painting and a bag of miscellaneous ammo.

Prices at estate sales generally exceed ODT and most are rusted scratched and cracked stocks.

Family usually keeps what is worth owning.
There are some reputable auction houses https://cwocauctions.com/ If you are looking to sell a collection. Often the family has no clue as to the value of the pieces/collection. The family is at the mercy of the appraiser, or FFL buying an entire collection. An auction will get top dollar for that ultra rare unicorn if you can wait and are willing to pay the consignment.

There are some reputable auction houses https://cwocauctions.com/ If you are looking to sell a collection. Often the family has no clue as to the value of the pieces/collection. The family is at the mercy of the appraiser, or FFL buying an entire collection. An auction will get top dollar for that ultra rare unicorn if you can wait and are willing to pay the consignment.
I'll add to that you must make certain they have an internet presence and take payments online & ship. If they are fine arms, they should go to a house that publishes a catalog in advance of the sale. This means you might wait a year to get your money, but you would get top dollar.

Back
Top Bottom