• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Etowah River Tunnel

Read the last sentence below in red, it was taken from http://www.etowahwatertrail.org/? That sounds like an adventure in itself to me! Walk the tunnel when no other traffic is around and who knows what you might find on the bottom!

"On river right here you’ll find what is perhaps the most talked about feature on the Etowah—a cut that channels the bulk of the Etowah’s flow through a two-tenths of a mile tunnel. The flow re-enters the main channel of the river a mile downstream. The tunnel was begun in the 1890s in an effort to drain the Etowah to mine gold in the main channel that loops around this ridge, but wasn’t completed until 1932 when dynamite and jackhammers 2 were used to finish the task. The gold deposits that were the expected reward of this ambitious endeavor never materialized. Today, a ride through the tunnel is a much sought after novelty, but one that should be undertaken with great care and only in medium to low flows. It should not be attempted if the proverbial “light at the end of the tunnel” cannot be seen or is obstructed. A small ledge in the middle of the tunnel provides added excitement. Local outfitters advise against it, saying “an entire outfitter store could be stocked with the gear lying at the bottom of that tunnel.”

View attachment 554563E

I have 2 kayaks and a canoe. You're more than welcome to experience it for yourself(anyone). If you decide not to partake, you can take the river route.
Edit* It takes me about 10 minutes to shake off the fear before I enter. It scares the heck outta me, I admit.

Once I'm healed up I'd like to go? I have a yak (3 or 4 actually) and would appreciate a guide..

Once I'm healed up I'd like to go? I have a yak (3 or 4 actually) and would appreciate a guide..
Hey Sniper, my son and I were planning on going sometime in October , if you're healed by then let's go. Give me a call if you still have my number.

Back
Top Bottom