• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Shotguns (esp. for Home Defense)

First in a home situation, you are probably in really deep **** if you can't resolve the situation with 5 to 7 rounds of buckshot, If you think you need the 30 rounds of an AR-15, then there must be a reason of overwhelming firepower on your opponents, which means that between the 2 of you, your family, your home, your neighbors and their families are at risk.

Beyond the tactical considerations, in today's environment, one has to consider the aftermath of shooting someone who is probably a neighborhood teenage hoodlum, and you being the rich white guy who unloaded an AR 15 into him. A shotgun, even in it's most Tacticool configuration is infinitely more PC than a "black rifle."

Look at what happened to those "rich white lawyers" who just waved an AR-15 in their front yard. I'm suggesting if they had been waving a Benelli M1 they would have avoided being involved in a lot of crap. Homeowner protecting homestead with shotgun is always going to play better than "radical white guy waves AR-15 in front yard".

My go-to HD gun is a Benelli M1S90, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use an AR.

Not to burst ya'lls shotgun for home defense bubble but what are you gonna do when outlaw has a gun to your wife or child's head and you got 4 inches of skull and one eyeball as your target?

View attachment 3631389

Take the shot with my Benelli. I know exactly what my chosen load will do, and how well it groups. At the distances inside my house where such a situation could occur, I trust my my primary shotguns to make that shot. I’ve trained to do it for nearly 25 years, and I’ve demonstrated it time and again in front of students.

A shotgun doesn’t have to be a scattergun.

Not to burst ya'lls shotgun for home defense bubble but what are you gonna do when outlaw has a gun to your wife or child's head and you got 4 inches of skull and one eyeball as your target?

View attachment 3631389

That’s actually pretty hilarious. I’ve met few folks that can reliably make that shot in a training environment with a carbine or handgun, let alone doing it in “real life” with the stress involved.

I’ve met few folks that accurately know the hold-offs for their chosen zero and sight offset at various distances.

The average AR owner has never trained with their AR. Yep, they go to the range and plink, and call it training, but it’s a big steaming pile of BS. They thump their chest, and make claims as to their capabilities, but they’re deluding themselves as to their actual “skills”.

Take the shot with my Benelli. I know exactly what my chosen load will do, and how well it groups. At the distances inside my house where such a situation could occur, I trust my my primary shotguns to make that shot. I’ve trained to do it for nearly 25 years, and I’ve demonstrated it time and again in front of students.

A shotgun doesn’t have to be a scattergun.
The wadding will take out the hostages eye at 10 feet that is provided you don't get a pellet to stray 2 inches.

That’s actually pretty hilarious. I’ve met few folks that can reliably make that shot in a training environment with a carbine or handgun, let alone doing it in “real life” with the stress involved.

I’ve met few folks that accurately know the hold-offs for their chosen zero and sight offset at various distances.

The average AR owner has never trained with their AR. Yep, they go to the range and plink, and call it training, but it’s a big steaming pile of BS. They thump their chest, and make claims as to their capabilities, but they’re deluding themselves as to their actual “skills”.
You get really defensive. Besides I never said I'd use an AR. My weapon of choice for home defense is a silenced MP5.

You get really defensive. Besides I never said I'd use an AR. My weapon of choice for home defense is a silenced MP5.

I’m not defensive, and I don’t recall commenting on anything you posted here.

I have absolutely no issues with folks using a shotgun, AR, AK, handgun, PCC, or MP5 for HD use, and I feel that I have been very clear on that subject over the years.

What I’ve expressed is to use what you’re comfortable with, and train with it.

What I’m objecting to is folks spreading misconceptions and misinformation. If you don’t like a weapon type/caliber/etc., then don’t use it. No reason to denigrate folks that differ in their opinion, especially if they have done their research and training.

I will reiterate that I find it humorous when folks talk of making a 4” hostage rescue shot in a stressful situation, when most folks don’t train in general, let alone for just such an occurrence.

I am also sure that multiple folks in this thread are not one of that group of “average”, or “most”, AR owners, and they actually train with their weapons, know their hold-offs/sight offset, and more.

I’m not defensive, and I don’t recall commenting on anything you posted here.

I have absolutely no issues with folks using a shotgun, AR, AK, handgun, PCC, or MP5 for HD use, and I feel that I have been very clear on that subject over the years.

What I’ve expressed is to use what you’re comfortable with, and train with it.

What I’m objecting to is folks spreading misconceptions and misinformation. If you don’t like a weapon type/caliber/etc., then don’t use it. No reason to denigrate folks that differ in their opinion, especially if they have done their research and training.

I will reiterate that I find it humorous when folks talk of making a 4” hostage rescue shot in a stressful situation, when most folks don’t train in general, let alone for just such an occurrence.

I am also sure that multiple folks in this thread are not one of that group of “average”, or “most”, AR owners, and they actually train with their weapons, know their hold-offs/sight offset, and more.
I was commenting mostly about this and you can read this guys book if you want. I'm not much of a reader though.
I just know shotgun wadding doesn't go where the pellets go from experience. And even the pellets stray.

The wad goes flying down range and, depending on the design of the wad, can present a serious threat to those downrange. The shot cups used with buckshot are not as much of a problem, but some of the wads used with slugs can be very dangerous. Many schools teach shooters to switch to slugs for times like hostage situations so that an accurate shot can be made but fail to consider what can happen if a hostage is hit by the shotgun wad.

Jim Crews' "Some of the Answers, Urban Shotgun" manual covers this issue.

Yes Sir. I can do that too.

With the right set up, barrel mods, and ammo, I don’t get flyers, or wide-flying wads, at HD distance.

With Federal LE Reduced Recoil 12ga 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 Buck Flite Control wad, #LE13200, out of my modified 14” Rem870 or my Benelli M1S90, I get one single hole.

The target labelled A7 was shot by me at 7yds with the lid above, out of my 14” Rem870. The other 2 groups were the same load, fired out of 2 different 18.5” Rem870’s with no barrel mods. Still acceptable.

1EFAB00D-7D9E-4539-B896-5A30C4026964.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom