• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Shotguns (esp. for Home Defense)

With the right set up, barrel mods, and ammo, I don’t get flyers at HD distance.

With Federal LE Reduced Recoil 12ga 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 Buck Flite Control wad, #LE13200, out of my modified 14” Rem870 or my Benelli M1S90, I get one single hole.

The target labelled A7 was shot by me at 7yds with the lid above, out of my 14” Rem870.

View attachment 3631474
Most folks don't understand chokes and every shotgun will produce even to the extreme varying results and B7 appears to have two fliers. I am also talking a 4 inch target with a 2 inch center mass so I'm asking you do you really trust your two inch group scenario or would you rather chose a different weapon in that situation? But you've already limited yourself by picking a shotgun for all of your home defense scenarios. Hypothetically.

If you think you need the 30 rounds of an AR-15, then there must be a reason of overwhelming firepower on your opponents
Or maybe he's just a United States Marine and knows to get **** done. :becky:
us-marine-platoon-commander.png
cmshoot cmshoot

Most folks don't understand chokes and every shotgun will produce even to the extreme varying results and B7 appears to have two fliers. I am also talking a 4 inch target with a 2 inch center mass so I'm asking you do you really trust your two inch group scenario or would you rather chose a different weapon in that situation? But you've already limited yourself by picking a shotgun for all of your home defense scenarios. Hypothetically.

Yep, but B7 ain’t MY shotgun. It’s one added to the “test” to show that a 14” SBS with a modified choke, backboring, and lengthened forcing cones will group tighter, with less flyers, than an unmodified 18.5” shotgun.

I wouldn’t attempt certain types of shots with the shotguns that shot targets B7 and C7, because they aren’t MY shotguns, I’ve never trained with them, and they don’t have my preferred mods. I also would not attempt a hostage rescue shot with someone else’s AR, handgun, or MP5 that I wasn’t familiar with

Please point out where I stated I have chosen a shotgun for all of my home defense scenarios. You won’t find it, because that statement is a lie.

I stated that it’s my go-to. In my world, that means it’s the one that I’d grab first, if I have no other information to go on. I also have an AR and a Glock 34 with Surefire X300 that I can grab. Over the years, I’ve had different handguns that filled that role, including revolvers such as a S&W M-28 High Patrolmen.

I’m not justifying my choices to anyone, because I don’t have to…..just as no one here has to justify their choices to me. I haven’t asked them to, and I haven’t told anyone they’ve made a bad choice, or even thought it.

Every weapon system, caliber, and load has its pros and cons. None of them are perfect. When I point out a con to someone’s particular choice, I’m not telling them not to use it, nor am I making fun of them, or calling them an idiot. I’m just making them aware of a particular deficiency, in case they aren’t already aware of it.

If I can give someone a shortcut to an insight that it took me 25 years to figure out on my own, all I’m doing is helping them, and inviting them not to make some of the same mistakes that I’ve made.

That’s actually pretty hilarious. I’ve met few folks that can reliably make that shot in a training environment with a carbine or handgun, let alone doing it in “real life” with the stress involved.

I’ve met few folks that accurately know the hold-offs for their chosen zero and sight offset at various distances.

The average AR owner has never trained with their AR. Yep, they go to the range and plink, and call it training, but it’s a big steaming pile of BS. They thump their chest, and make claims as to their capabilities, but they’re deluding themselves as to their actual “skills”.
I think I misread this post. I read it as you were saying what I was saying was hilarious. My apologies.

Yep, but B7 ain’t MY shotgun. It’s one added to the “test” to show that a 14” SBS with a modified choke, backboring, and lengthened forcing cones will group tighter, with less flyers, than an unmodified 18.5” shotgun.

I wouldn’t attempt certain types of shots with the shotguns that shot targets B7 and C7, because they aren’t MY shotguns, I’ve never trained with them, and they don’t have my preferred mods. I also would not attempt a hostage rescue shot with someone else’s AR, handgun, or MP5 that I wasn’t familiar with

Please point out where I stated I have chosen a shotgun for all of my home defense scenarios. You won’t find it, because that statement is a lie.

I stated that it’s my go-to. In my world, that means it’s the one that I’d grab first, if I have no other information to go on. I also have an AR and a Glock 34 with Surefire X300 that I can grab. Over the years, I’ve had different handguns that filled that role, including revolvers such as a S&W M-28 High Patrolmen.

I’m not justifying my choices to anyone, because I don’t have to…..just as no one here has to justify their choices to me. I haven’t asked them to, and I haven’t told anyone they’ve made a bad choice, or even thought it.

Every weapon system, caliber, and load has its pros and cons. None of them are perfect. When I point out a con to someone’s particular choice, I’m not telling them not to use it, nor am I making fun of them, or calling them an idiot. I’m just making them aware of a particular deficiency, in case they aren’t already aware of it.

If I can give someone a shortcut to an insight that it took me 25 years to figure out on my own, all I’m doing is helping them, and inviting them not to make some of the same mistakes that I’ve made.
I think we are in agreement. I just misread your first post. And I am ashamed to say I got a little defensive myself.

In most situations one on one the shotgun is the perfect choice and to be honest in a hostage situation I have a work around. You just walk up to the hostage taker put your muzzle to his or her forehead and squeeze.

I was commenting mostly about this and you can read this guys book if you want. I'm not much of a reader though.
I just know shotgun wadding doesn't go where the pellets go from experience. And even the pellets stray.

The wad goes flying down range and, depending on the design of the wad, can present a serious threat to those downrange. The shot cups used with buckshot are not as much of a problem, but some of the wads used with slugs can be very dangerous. Many schools teach shooters to switch to slugs for times like hostage situations so that an accurate shot can be made but fail to consider what can happen if a hostage is hit by the shotgun wad.

Jim Crews' "Some of the Answers, Urban Shotgun" manual covers this issue.
I know I have some cups that I got to replicate some flechette rounds I bought are fairly substantial and would definitely be a consideration for down range injury off the boresight. BTW, the cups aren't just for flechettes...

Then there is the scenario where the hostile is not pointing the weapon at the hostage but is engaged in firing the weapon at you. Honestly I go over this in my head and the only option is to take the risk of hitting the hostage. Hopefully not in the neck or the head. I can play it over and over again but it is tricky.

I have never been in a hostage scenario though so I do lack that experience but it doesn't stop me from considering all possible outcomes.

My Father calls me a worrier.

Back
Top Bottom