• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Evidence Training Helps

You will never “rise to the occasion”, you will only devolve to your level of training.

I am by no means a first-hand authority figure on the matter, but one also does not need to be an astronaut to know the moon isn't made out of cheese.

But in studies, debriefings, and AAR's, the quoted statement has been proven true with little to no exceptions.

There's a reason every capable entity in the firearms world drills extensively on even basic firearm manipulation. Until the basic actions: Loading, reloading, malfunction clearing, muzzle control, and sight acquisition, are almost completely automatic. And because none of those require any thought, when the fecal matter is already in the fan blades, the only thing they have to focus on is lining up the sights and making their hits where and when they need to be made.

Adrenaline with narrow the vision (on average) to about 30 degrees referred to as tunnel vision. And with your thoughts racing, if you cant handle your weapon correctly without thought or taking your eye off the threat, you are way on the back foot. And since most self defense shootings put you on the back foot to start with, it wouldn't be wise to further disadvantage yourself.

Some may have differing opinions but evidential data by and large proves what cmshoot already stated. If your friend feels different, they are simply fooling themselves.

On Killing--
"...an illuminating account of how soldiers learn to kill and how they live with the experiences of having killed.
The good news is that most soldiers are loath to kill. But armies have developed sophisticated ways of overcoming this instinctive aversion. And contemporary civilian society, particularly the media, replicates the army's conditioning techniques, and, according to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's thesis, is responsible for our rising rate of murder among the young. "

Summary on Amazon.com

I'm not sure how that applies to my brother's situation.

ON COMBAT

Product Description

On Combat looks at what happens to the human body
under the stresses of deadly battle:
the impact on the nervous system, heart, breathing, visual and
auditory perception, memory - then discusses new research findings
as to what measures warriors can take to prevent such debilitations
so they can stay in the fight, survive, and win.

A brief, but insightful look at history shows the evolution of combat,
the development of the physical and psychological leverage that enables humans to kill other humans,
followed by an objective examination of domestic violence in America.
The authors reveal the nature of the warrior, brave men and women who train their minds and bodies to go to that place from which others flee. After examining the incredible impact of a few true warriors in battle, On Combat presents new and exciting research as to how to train the mind to become inoculated to stress, fear and even pain. Expanding on Lt. Col. Grossman's popular "Bulletproof mind" presentation, the book explores what really happens to the warrior after the battle..."

B7A94C15-7017-4F44-833C-41340C5D942A.jpeg

On Killing--
"...an illuminating account of how soldiers learn to kill and how they live with the experiences of having killed.
The good news is that most soldiers are loath to kill. But armies have developed sophisticated ways of overcoming this instinctive aversion. And contemporary civilian society, particularly the media, replicates the army's conditioning techniques, and, according to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's thesis, is responsible for our rising rate of murder among the young. "

Summary on Amazon.com

I'm not sure how that applies to my brother's situation.

Because I said it does.

When you read the two books together it lays out some pretty comprehensive arguments for why you need to train, and why your training should be relevant.

I’m disappointed that you haven’t read it yourself. I highly recommend it to anyone that carries a firearm for a living, or anyone that owns firearms for self-defense.

Take him to shoot a USPSA match. The targets are out in the open, and he can walk around the stages and plan his shooting to his heart's content prior to his turn. Really, the best possible case for doing well. All you have to do is stick to your plan and execute the fundamentals!

See how he fares after the buzzer goes off.

I'm not a firearms expert, but I do have a boatload of fight training over many years, and what your brother is claiming is the equivalent of saying "If I punch a stationary punching bag every few years, I'll be smooth and effective if I ever have to defend myself in a violent physical confrontation." The only way you learn to fight under pressure is to train under pressure and feel what it's like to both have your *ss handed to you, but also figure out how to stay cool under pressure and emerge relatively unscathed (or even dominate) in situations that most would find overwhelming and chaotic.

The best way to open his eyes is to take him to the range and let him see how he does. Put him under stress like running, putting him on a timer, and just pushing him hard on multiple targets. Let him practice malfunctions with dummy rounds, reloads, and shooting while moving. I suspect he will perform horribly. If that doesn’t change his mind then wish him the best of luck.

I am like your brother. I only practice if I bought a new gun or catch the ammo I like to shoot on sale. I am a wheelgun fan ( 4 inch Ruger Security Six 357 magnums) and have three of them stashed in the middle of my house and at both ends.They are a joy to shoot and have been shot a lot. IMO, if you are not a soldier, law enforcement officer, a$$hole or drug dealer your odds of having to pull out a gun are low.

How much training do you need with an AR-15 with a 30 round mag spraying bullets at under 10 yards ?

I am like your brother. I only practice if I bought a new gun or catch the ammo I like to shoot on sale. I am a wheelgun fan ( 4 inch Ruger Security Six 357 magnums) and have three of them stashed in the middle of my house and at both ends.They are a joy to shoot and have been shot a lot. IMO, if you are not a soldier, law enforcement officer, a$$hole or drug dealer your odds of having to pull out a gun are low.

How much training do you need with an AR-15 with a 30 round mag spraying bullets at under 10 yards ?
Quite a bit, from your theories alone.

Back
Top Bottom