• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ex-Mil "Doomsday Prepper" shoots his thumb off...

protective measures

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   1
Reaction score
Amazing... For entertainment value, my family sometimes watches "Doomsday Preppers", mostly to learn what not to do, w/ an occasional nugget of good info.

This guy on tonights, "Hustle, Bustle, Survive" episode (LINK AT THE START OF PAGE 4) demonstrates his "Crovel" multitool for taking out your "foe" and a myriad of other more mundane tasks. Then, later in the show he takes his boys to the range to "train" them on how to use firearms.

From what it looked like, like most "zombie training", the drills consisted of haphazardly blasting Ruger .22's & a 12 gauge at various targets of opportunity randomly scattered around w/ no perceived firing line or dedicated safety officer.

Then suddenly..."Man Down!!"... the main character hits the ground holding his hand looking like he was going into shock.

He states that the gun, "malfunctioned" & injured him". Later he adds that, "It malfunctioned WHILE HIS HAND WAS IN FRONT OF THE MUZZLE!"

And finally he tells his boys (nothing like teaching by example... I'm sure they won't forget the day their father blew his thumb off at the range) that you should never point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to kill or destroy."

While I understand that accidents can happen to anyone it continues to amaze me how many so called "gun experts" who have owned & shot guns "their whole lives & don't need no training" cannot state or demonstrate the 4 BASIC SAFETY RULES of firearms safety but have no problem "teaching" anyone & everyone who'll let them how to use firearms.

Ownership does not insure proficiency.
For those of you who do know & consistently FOLLOW proper safety rules, PLEASE, PLEASE. PLEASE teach those principles & the reasons behind them to all of the new gun-owners that you can.

Every time a self-professed expert or "gun-nut" shares or demonstrates his or her ignorance through unsafe handling or someone gets injured or worse as a result besides the obvious it gives the anti-gunners a more legitimate argument why some people shouldn't own a gun.

Last edited:
I use guns at work. Accidents happen. Thats no excuse but Murphys law can bite your thumb right off

So do I, many days of the month. Most professionals that I've been around, possibly like yourself & some others on this forum that I know is not, "It won't happen to me" but "It WILL happen to me if I don't exaggerate my use of safe principles".

Familiarity breeds contempt, so they say. Gotta fight the dark side...

Don't you guys know a thumb is just sitting there burning calories? Why you have 2 of them! Blast one of them off and stretch them rations an extra day or so I always say.

So do I, many days of the month. Most professionals that I've been around, possibly like yourself & some others on this forum that I know is not, "It won't happen to me" but "It WILL happen to me if I don't exaggerate my use of safe principles".

Familiarity breeds contempt, so they say. Gotta fight the dark side...

I used to think that it wouldnt happen but I know far to many folks tat it has happened to. I havent shot myself yet but I know its a true possiblity. Guns are something that we def. need to respect, no matter how B.A. we think we are. this is a good lesson to learn from someone else for sure.

I used to think that it wouldnt happen but I know far to many folks tat it has happened to. I havent shot myself yet but I know its a true possiblity. Guns are something that we def. need to respect, no matter how B.A. we think we are. this is a good lesson to learn from someone else for sure.

I think many people put too much comfort in firearms. Firearms can hurt and/or kill you. You have to respect them. I guess some people put their guard down because they are use to having them around all the time. I dunno. Nothing scares me more than having a body part and/or my whole body facing the wrong end of a firearm.

I saw that. Nothing like making yourself look stupid on national TV.

I know some guys that I swear would've slapped a bandage on it, went back to shooting & then went to the doc afterwards.

Mental toughness.... reminds me of the scene from "Predator" where when informed that he was bleeding Jesse Ventura responded, " I ain't got time to bleed...")
d

I know some guys that I swear would've slapped a bandage on it & went back to shooting & went to the doc afterwards.

Mental toughness.... reminds me of the scene from "Predator" where when informed that he was bleeding Jesse Ventura responded, " I ain't got time to bleed...")
d

I know a few guys that would do the same. Ahh its just a flesh wound. They would have kept rolling. That guy was rolling around on the ground like a little punk. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom