• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Explain like I'm 5 years old about tax stamps on sbrs, silencers, and etc.

grimreaper

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
42   0
Reaction score
I'd love to do some upgrades to some of my toys. But I'm very confused on this stamp business. I understand what is legal or not legal without a stamp. But let's say I want a silencer on my sig, i buy the silencer pay the 200 tax stamp. Am i only allowed to use the silencer on the sig? Or can i move it around other guns as well? Do tax stamps apply to the handgun or to the silencer? Say I sbr something. Is there a separate tax stamp for adding a silencer as well or no? Transferable mg?

You can move a silencer to any weapon you want, It is a stand alone NFA item. A SBR is also a stand alone NFA item that requires it's own stamp. So stamp for the SBR (applies Only to that firearm) and a stamp for the silencer (which you can move from weapon to weapon).

Hey kid!! Get me a beer......J/K

Not much to it really since a lawyer and you dealer take care of everything for you.

1kh2l4.jpg

Ok I understand better now. How long does the paper work usually take for things like this? Also say I go through the process from buying a silencer for my tavor. If I want one for a pistol, is that another tax stamp to pay?

Each NFA item is it's own stamp. 30 call suppressor - $200 stamp, .22 call suppressor - another $200 stamp, a SBR - another $200 stamp. The stamp is for each serialized item. Currently both individual and trust filed form 1's and form 4's are taking about 6-9 months from check cash date to approval date.

Each NFA item is it's own stamp. 30 call suppressor - $200 stamp, .22 call suppressor - another $200 stamp, a SBR - another $200 stamp. The stamp is for each serialized item. Currently both individual and trust filed form 1's and form 4's are taking about 6-9 months from check cash date to approval date.

Exactly why I won't be jumping in to NFA land for a while.. I hate paying for something and having to wait for it.

Exactly why I won't be jumping in to NFA land for a while.. I hate paying for something and having to wait for it.
Just buy it and forget about it. One year later, voila! Surprise toy! It's not ideal but it is doable. Just have to decide if it's worth it to you (it is!)

Bare bones explanation, Each NFA item requires its own tax paid and its own set of paperwork. In the case of silencers, they can be freely used on any host gun (within that silencer's capabilities) without any further paperwork. SBR's and MG's need their own tax paid as well, but once they are yours you can add and remove your silencer at will.

Back
Top Bottom