• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Exposing your weapon to the undesirable?

Carry extra bullets and a Sharpie marker. When someone makes you mad ask them their name--- pull out the sharpie and write it on the bullet. Then either hand the bullet to them or put it in the chamber while smiling. Might work might not! YMMV

At one time, when I was a lot younger and my temper would control my actions, I had a guy come after me on I85. He had me so mad, that I had my pistol out, angling to get beside him so I could empty the magazine into his hood. I still to this day thank God that my brain engaged just long enough to realize what I was about to do, and that lesson has stuck with me.
Wheeler

I had a similar situation about 12 years ago when I was alot younger in downtown Atlanta. A thug got ticked at me for something. He got beside me and repeately acted like he was going to ram his car into the side of my car. I drew the Glock 21 out of my holster and was about to start shooting said thug. Fortunately the good Lord was looking out for me and the guy sped on by and that was that. I feel stupid that I got pushed to point. Now at 34 years of age, I would never let something esclate to that level.

That's the entire philosophy summed up better than I could ever do it. One of the downsides of taking firearms training classes is that we tend to think like hammers, and see all problems as nails. The best piece of advice I ever got when I started to pack is "When you start carrying a gun, you give up your right to defend your honor."

That depends on where you take your classes... we spend a lot of time in our classes teaching how to recognize & avoid getting into violent situations as do many other respectable firearms training academies.

There is a tenous balance between not being easily provoked/avoiding fights & also not being so reluctant to use our gun that we get so far behind the power curve in the force continuum that we get badly hurt or killed when there is a lethal threat.

Even though we don't know exactly the time & manner in which a violent encounter will happen, the more training & time that we can devote to getting our "combative triad" right (mindset, weapons handling, & accuracy as Jeff Cooper so succinctly described it) , the better chance that in the event that we can't avoid the fight, we are better equipped to survive it & the aftermath.

Last edited:
i carry two pistols for two different situations i open carry my colt gold cup 45 in areas that i deem low to moderate crime areas most criminals in these areas see it and go away if im in a high crime area i carry completly conceald 38 derringer or pocket 38 so i have the upper hand in the event of an attack so thats what i would reccomend

i carry two pistols for two different situations i open carry my colt gold cup 45 in areas that i deem low to moderate crime areas most criminals in these areas see it and go away if im in a high crime area i carry completly conceald 38 derringer or pocket 38 so i have the upper hand in the event of an attack so thats what i would reccomend

The criminals that I've come in contact with, as well as stories told firsthand by L.E. I've had classes with, would either come up behind you & hit you hard over the head & take that exposed gun or put a gun into your back & take it then.

I would rather maintain a tactical advantage & not let ANYONE know that I was carrying.

Last edited:

i56.tinypic.com_2cy1xjt.jpg

Here is the one thing that I have yet to see in all of these discussions about crime and carrying. Nobody has mentioned that your firearm is nothing more then a tool. It is another tool in the bag that you have access to if and when you need it. Most of us on here carry a pocket knife so that when we need to cut something (lunch, dinner, rope, tape, people) we can. We have that tool with us when we need it and are ready to use it because the situation calls for it. As for our firearms they serve the same purpose. Our level of awareness and level of force escalation MUST be reasonable and appropriate. If someone comes after us and matches us equally in size skill ability then you must remember that you are permitted to defend yourself and defeat the threat. There are many more factors that are to be considered in this equation but they all come down to the few I just mentioned. The weapon that we carry is another tool just like our knife, boots, car keys, or whatever else you use to accomplish a task. Your firearm is a tool to end a confrontation that you were unable to avoid due to the actions of another human.

Back
Top Bottom