F.A.S.T drill video

North Ga Hillbilly

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
37   1
Reaction score
Ok, so I know this is going to get brutal, but without being willing to put it out there I know ill be missing out on getting better. It's been a while since I have been able to shoot, and haven't been doing my dry fire practice like I should, but I got a chance to do some shooting this weekend. Due to being out of sorts with my dry fire, I didnt feel comfortable pushing my draw speed, so i know I could loose half a second there, and hope to have it shaved soon. My reload is abysmal, haven't practiced it ever really as I never carry a reload, but for tacticoolin I plan to work on it. I also am seeing now that I am leaning back as I shoot my last 4, I defiantly plan on addressing that.

I messed with my grip alittle later in the afternoon and found that by rotating my front hand WAY past what I normally do I was able to keep my splits tighter, similar to how Frank Proctor seems to grip.

So here are the main problems I see:
1. I need to make sure to put my weight forward on my feet, as opposed to back on my heels
2. Get reload under control, and up in my work space, as opposed to down low
(I know I can run faster if I hit the slide stop, but I'm still hesitant to incorporate "fine motor skills"

In case folks aren't familiar, the F.A.S.T drill is draw, two on an index 3"x5" index card, reload, four on a pie plate at 7 yards.

Times:
1st shot 2.16
2nd .67
3rd 3.58
4th .48
5th .33
6th .29

I was pretty happy with the time that it I ended up with, but watching I KNOW the reload is embarrisingly slow, and my posture is really sloppy. Well... Lets have it

NGaHB

Last edited by a moderator:
You can work on a lot of your issues with dryfire. Drawstroke, presentation, first shot trigger press after sight alignment. Setting up a par time on your timer will give you a sense of progress. Same thing with your reloads. Yeah the slide release is faster and the overhand is more reliable. YMMV.
Get the gun up around high chest level while reloading, you dropped it down to waist level, looked down to see what you were doing, the had to look up and reacquire the target, and bring the gun back up and represent. There is a lot of wasted motion there.

I hope this helps.

I appreciate your insight. I was really debating on putting up the video, all my problems are usually less prevalent, but the second that timer goes off and you know the clocks ticking things seem to get real sloppy, real fast. I'll be getting back on my dry fire and working on everything pointed out.

Not yet, i joined gssf with the idea that it would push me to go to some events, but it's yet to happen. My main shootin buddy, my cousin, is a few hundred miles south and it's hard to get it worked out to both make it to an event

Depending on where you live there are matches all over the N. Ga area. Either will help you get past the timer stress and help you focus on what needs to be done.

Wheeler makes great points&#8230;.getting that gun up into your "Workspace" IE Chest high will makes things move a long a little faster&#8230;kudos from throwing it up there&#8230;keep it up!
shane

Wheeler makes great points….getting that gun up into your "Workspace" IE Chest high will makes things move a long a little faster…kudos from throwing it up there…keep it up!
shane

+2 reload in front of you with your mag indexed and your hands in your periphreal vision or ever how you spell it. No expert by any means everything else looked clean

try this. bring your gun in about 6-8" from shooting distance and look through the trigger guard while maintaining eye contact on the target. you do this while you grab the magazine, then break eye contact for that split second to index the mag to the pistol.

from the mag floorplate, your hand sweeps to the slide, away from the muzzle, and racks it while you extend back to shooting distance

Back
Top Bottom