NRA Suggested Qualification Drill

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
The current issue of
America's 1st Freedom,
one of the monthly magazines published by the NRA, has an article about a qualification primer (range practice drill) recommended for all armed citizens.
The course of fire is similar to the qualifications required for law-enforcement officers and CCW / WCP holders in many other states.

DOES ANYONE WANT TO SELF-TEST ON THIS DRILL AND REPORT YOUR RESULTS HERE? On the "honor system" (for whatever THAT is worth)?

See the article here:

C0A45082-92BC-4ED3-86AD-2AF9C9B8F703.jpeg

ECF8989C-E181-48AB-853E-20EF3F601BE3.jpeg

Pics of my copy of the magazine above.

You will need either a shot timer or a friend observing you and operating a stopwatch to make sure you do your shooting within the time constraints given here.

Other than that, no special equipment is required. Just a gun that holds at least 6 rounds* one spare magazine or a speed loader for a revolver, and a holster it is recommended that you use the same gun and holster for this test that you are likely to use in a self-defense scenario.

(For me, that means I would have to run this course twice-- because I would normally carry a small pocket pistol which will yield pretty poor results from this test, I predict, but then I would like to run it again with my full sized home defense handgun which should give me a nice satisfying score!)

Oh, and you'll need some human shaped targets that have one scoring zone for the chest area and a separate scoring zone for the head and face area.

* This test is not suited for a small frame revolver that only holds five shots, since one of the stages of the drill requires a total of 12 rounds to be fired in 20 seconds with a mandatory reload.

If you have a revolver I don't think anybody would have time to fire what's in the gun and then do two reloads to finish the stage on time.

Be interesting to see results from casual shooters/carriers and maybe not so much from competitors. I'd venture a guess that 98% of observed rounds downrange at the club are fired at large targets on the 7.5 yard line. Most people cannot shoot.

I'll probably have a go at this next time I'm over on the range. I've 'qualified' in tests like this in the past, but my skills have degraded a lot over the past few years (for a number of reasons).

It'll be interesting to see if I can shoot well enough "on the clock" for the longer ranges.

Trying to recall if the 2nd amendment includes a reference on completing a qualification test to exercise the right to bear arms.

I don't understand this pushback. I think everyone should be allowed to carry firearms but I sure af want to know that at a minimum someone can hit what they are aiming at at 10-15ft. If someone is off paper at 5 yards, there will be collateral damage if they are trying to use a gun they haven't practiced with and don't posses a basic capability with. We let everyone drive but you have to be able to prove you're capable of not killing a carload of people first.

Similar to Georgia Post requirements to requalify for duty weapon and back up as well. It did step down from 50 to 40 rounds years ago..As a retired post instructor, I found it hard to believe that Georgia only requires a minimum of one requalify a year. Note: rules may have changed since I retired 3 years ago.

Whether we like it or not (I don't like it), limiting a constitutional right and making it conditional upon passing a test - is unjust. And fortunately, in Georgia, we don't suffer that particular injustice.

However, I see no issue with popularizing (and maybe even rewarding) citizens for developing some competence with firearms. Even if that recognition is simply the approval of other citizens. We should encourage all gun owners to improve their abilities and competence.

How about we skip over the history lesson about the origin of the second amendment and get back to the question at hand:

can you handle your gun competently ?

And are you willing to take a test to prove it (at least to yourself, if not to others?)

Back
Top Bottom