• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NRA Suggested Qualification Drill

I don't understand this pushback. I think everyone should be allowed to carry firearms but I sure af want to know that at a minimum someone can hit what they are aiming at at 10-15ft. If someone is off paper at 5 yards, there will be collateral damage if they are trying to use a gun they haven't practiced with and don't posses a basic capability with. We let everyone drive but you have to be able to prove you're capable of not killing a carload of people first.
Let me help you......Read the sig line at the bottom of this post.

I don’t agree with having a pass or fail, scored “qualification” course for civilians.

Who would need to carry a handgun for SD more, a frail 90YOA woman or a strapping 28YOA man? Good luck getting the old woman to qualify.

Moreover, it’s an infringement on the ownership and use of firearms. Just one more instance of “common sense gun control”.

I don’t agree with having a pass or fail, scored “qualification” course for civilians.
That's not with the original post is about.

This is about a voluntary self assessment so that gun owners will know where they stand as far as their skill level with their defensive handgun goes.

The title of this thread says
"NRA Suggested Qualification Drill."

Emphasis on "suggested."
Neither I nor the author of the article said you should lose your gun rights if you don't accumulate enough points on this test. (Although the reality is that this could happen in some jurisdictions outside of Georgia that require live fire training to get or keep one's carry permit.)

Here in our state, I suspect a whole lot of people have misplaced overconfidence about their skill level.

That's not with the original post is about.

This is about a voluntary self assessment so that gun owners will know where they stand as far as their skill level with their defensive handgun goes.

I suspect a whole lot of people have misplaced overconfidence about their skill level.

I am quite aware of what the post is about. I read it, and have decent comprehension skills.

However, it is close enough to a topic I feel strongly enough about, that I decided to give my $.02.

I KNOW that MOST folks have a misplaced overconfidence about their skill level.

The "drill" is reasonable and doable. I would say it's easily in the bottom 20% (difficulty-wise) of qualifications courses that I have shot or used over the decades.

Who would need to carry a handgun for SD more, a frail 90YOA woman or a strapping 28YOA man? Good luck getting the old woman to qualify.

Moreover, it’s an infringement on the ownership and use of firearms. Just one more instance of “common sense gun control”.

Not saying that grandma should have to classify grand master on a shooting course but if grandma can't hit a target 10 ft away in a controlled environment slow shooting then no, she shouldn't be carrying a gun. My 87 y/o grandmother can't be trusted to remember to take her pills by herself, or not fall and break something without supervision. Sure not going to give her a gun.

Not saying that grandma should have to classify grand master on a shooting course but if grandma can't hit a target 10 ft away in a controlled environment slow shooting then no, she shouldn't be carrying a gun. My 87 y/o grandmother can't be trusted to remember to take her pills by herself, or not fall and break something without supervision. Sure not going to give her a gun.

That's common sense gun control right there. One man who thinks their opinion should count more than our Founding Fathers'.

That's the slippery slope that has lead us to the plethora of unconstitutional laws and regulations we have today.

If Grandma takes 11 seconds to

1-- pick up her pistol from the table at the range,

2-- steady it in her two shaking hands,

3-- readjust her grip because she's unfamiliar with how she's supposed to grip the pistol but the first time she just knows it didn't feel right and by changing her hand placement she realizes that's much better ...

then
4--finally squeezes off her first shot at the 11 second mark after hearing the command of "GO!"....

and

5-- sees her shot missed the target, nicking the white paper 6 inches away from the humanoid target's elbow...

THEN I SAY THAT DOING THIS DRILL HAS BENEFITTED GRANDMA, because now she knows what she's capable of doing. And if she is so inclined can ask for help getting additional training or perhaps switching to a different firearm that will yield better results next time.

But if she's happy being slow and clumsy with a gun and only able to hit a man size to target in the chest area if the man is less than 5 feet away and she has at least 10 seconds to do it.... I'll let her. No law against that. She still has 2nd Amd. rights.

Back
Top Bottom