• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NRA Suggested Qualification Drill

If Grandma takes 11 seconds to

1-- pick up her pistol from the table at the range,

2-- steady it in her two shaking hands,

3-- readjust her grip because she's unfamiliar with how she's supposed to grip the pistol but the first time she just knows it didn't feel right and by changing her hand placement she realizes that's much better ...

then
4--finally squeezes off her first shot at the 11 second mark after hearing the command of "GO!"....

and

5-- sees her shot missed the target, nicking the white paper 6 inches away from the humanoid target's elbow...

THEN I SAY THAT DOING THIS DRILL HAS BENEFITTED GRANDMA, because now she knows what she's capable of doing. And if she is so inclined can ask for help getting additional training or perhaps switching to a different firearm that will yield better results next time.

But if she's happy being slow and clumsy with a gun and only able to hit a man size to target in the chest area if the man is less than 5 feet away and she has at least 10 seconds to do it.... I'll let her. No law against that. She still has 2nd Amd. rights.

Excellent analogy.

I'd happily support free training for folks that choose to own a firearm for self-defense. Something along the lines of the "Stop The Bleed" courses; codified, taught all over the US, totally voluntary, absolutely free. Give folks an idea of where their skill level is, what they need to work on, and how to work on their deficiencies.

If you want to check your competency with a handgun Ken Hackathorn's "The Wizard" drill is a great measure. Very short and "real-world" oriented for distances, etc. At least as much as a drill can be "real-world." There's a history behind it as well. It is the first drill I run cold every single time I go out to the range.

Google it. It is not an easy drill to master and even masters will **** up running it. I've seen it.

Back
Top Bottom