Favorite bullet for hunting

While any well placed shot will do the trick on most whitetail, Match King bullets aren't designed to do anything past hitting their mark.

For most of my whitetail hunting I use the Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullets. The boat tail design of the Game King bullets seems to offers little to no advantage in performance at my average hunting distances here in Ga.

If I know I'll likely be shooting more than 300 yds then the boat tail design is more desirable, but most of my Ga whitetail shots are well under 200 yds.

I know the matchkings were not made for hunting but they shoot great and leave a nasty exit hole. You don't have to worry about A blood trail. It also makes for interesting conversation with the DNR officer when you check your deer in at the wma or state park hunts.

The only problem I have with GameKings is that they are not bonded. On two occasions I have had the jacket separate from the core and the terminal ballistics were less than desirable. I like my bullets to do a pass through so if tracking is needed there is a good blood trail. On both occasions the bullet did not pass through and the deer also ran. Both were on an evening hunt and there was no blood trail. Both deer were eventually recovered, but one was already spoiled and the other had been eaten by yotes by the time they were found.

How well do the gamekings expand?

About as good as any other SP. They have pretty good weight retention as well. The trick to killing anything is a properly placed shot. You do your part the bullet will do its. the only reason I use them over others is I have loads developed for them and as long as they work why change?

Back
Top Bottom