• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Favorite bullet for hunting

www.thefirearmblog.com_blog_wp_content_uploads_2013_07_Corbon_Urban_Response_box.jpg
media.midwayusa.com_productimages_880x660_primary_128_128237.jpg

I use Horanady 165gr SST's in my .308 deer loads. I use Barnes 110gr TTSX in my 6.8 loads. Both of these loads are very effective. This year I am going to carry my 5.56 a few times and have loaded some of the 65gr Sierra Gamekings. I've read good things about them and have worked up loads that are holding an inch or less.

Pick one and put it where it needs to go-I've used pretty much every bullet out there for over forty+ years of reloading(not to mention factory ammo of every make),and i've not been disapointed with any of the results!That includes everything from .22 cal to .45 cal.Pointed to round nose-plastic tipped to hollow point-boattail to flat base.I will say this-if i had to pick one for .22 , i'd go with the Barnes 62gr. HP.My son shot his first whitetail two years ago from his AR using this bullet and the results were impressive.I do tend to lean toward Hornady and Speer(i like any of the HotCore bullets) for most of my reloading these days(Barnes for .22),but wouldn't hesitate to go with any other.More importantly,i try to match the bullet weight to the game i'm hunting for each cal.,then work up the most accurate load i can-i'ts more about bullet placement.True the bullet must do it's job when it gets there,but it has to get there first.Happy Hunting!

Back
Top Bottom