• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Favorite Childhood Smell

My mother's onion scented fingers when she buttoned or zipped our coats/shirts. She loved onion and put it in everything. If she buttoned our coats, wiped our noses, or tied on a hat in the fall/winter, you could smell the onion on her fingers. It seemed ever present growing up. Now when I cook and get the onion scent on my fingers, it brings back so many memories.

Grandpaw's smokehouse with the hams, shoulders and bacon slabs hanging from the ceiling.
He used to buy humongous bags of stale bread from the bakery in Gainesville to feed to the hogs, and I used to ramble thru that and pilfer all the donuts and snack cakes out it, the inside of that bag smelled great.

Used to love the smell of the turkey and dressing at the Woolworth's lunch counter back in the late 50's early 60's...a buddy and I would hitch hike from Lilburn to the end of the bus line in Dekalb County. catch the bus into Atl and spend all day on a Saturday dining at Woolworth's, checking out all the Army-Navy surplus stores and the rest f the afternoon at the movies. the ride the bus back to end line and hitch hike home..get home just after dark..we were about 14.....no way you could let your kid that in today's world......it's a shame, it really is.

Grandma,s pecan pies and gingerbread. Momma,s coconut cake and her fruitcake cooking in oven. Loved the smell of old two cylinder John Deere diesel tractors A, 50,60,and 70 series.home made sausage cooking and biscuits baking in oven. The smell of cooking out cracklings in black wash pot over fire last week of November!

Grandma,s pecan pies and gingerbread. Momma,s coconut cake and her fruitcake cooking in oven. Loved the smell of old two cylinder John Deere diesel tractors A, 50,60,and 70 series.home made sausage cooking and biscuits baking in oven. The smell of cooking out cracklings in black wash pot over fire last week of November!

One of my uncles still makes craklins every year.

Back
Top Bottom