• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Favorite thing to Can

Once again, I am a rookie with this stuff.... is this all fermentation style or do you can and seal right away?

No fermentation here. The peppers are the easiest. You just wash the peppers, dip jars and lids in boiling water, boil the vinegar/water/salt mixture. Put the peppers in the jars and pour in liquid and put tops on. As the liquid cools, the tops seal. The vinegar is the preservative. My grandparents didn't even bother with boiling the liquid at times. The peppers stay crisper if you don't pour in boiling liquid.

Here are some pictures of our last trip to the cannery. We canned 250 cans of Chili that day. The cannery charges $1 per can. First picture is putting chili in cans. Second picture shows the cookers to the right. Third picture shows the cans before going into the pressure cooker.

1.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last time I caned it was 60 gallons of Brunswick Stew. Behind Ellijay High School their was one don't know about it now, but it cost me 50 cents a can back then..I ran across a few cans left in the garage, but I would not eat it after this many years...I was told by the manager of the cannery that it had a shelf life of 5 years..It has been many more years than that..

I can't get over how easy Jam/Jelly is. I had some grapes on the edge of going bad.... watched a youtube on how to make it.... 1 cup sugar per 4 cups of halved grapes... 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Bring to boil, stir constantly and in about a n hour or so, can..... I can't wait until the other grapes start going bad....

Never done the cannery type. But home type depends on the acid content of what you are canning. Meat needs to be pressure canned and depending on size jar (quart vs pint) will be the time limit. At our attitude 10 lbs pressure is all we need. Jellies, etc. can be water bath about 10 to 15 minutes. There is alot about canning online.

Back
Top Bottom