• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally a school district thats taking PROactive measures

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
Wonder how many other districts will step up.

I love this quote: "The naysayers think (a shooting) won’t happen here. If something were to happen here, I’d much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them,” Thweatt said."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,404721,00.html

Updated with new link, old one removed story.

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe it. I need to move to Texas!

As a side note, there was a sherriffs deputy at my sons school this morning, standing in the front lobby as kids came to school. Kudos to Rockdale County for the added security in the event some yahoo decided to try a copykat attack. We just have today and tomorrow until they are out for break. Maybe when they return after Christmas, there will have been some substantial security measure put in place.

What's your answer?

Arming teachers is close to the most ridiculous thing I've heard as a solution. Perhaps that works in a hobunk(?) town in Texas where 700 of the 708 residents pack a pistol, but it's impractical on a large scale. Most teachers I know don't want to be anywhere near a gun. What about the Principals then? A little less impractical but still requires a revision of the job description, insurance considerations, pay increase, training, and even then the outcome is not guaranteed. What happens when a teacher or Principal armed with a handgun gets taken out by an "assault rifle"? We gonna start slinging teachers with AR-15s or shotguns?

So what's my answer? My answer to what? Random acts of terrorism? It's called terrorism for a reason. Not much you can do. You can't legislate crazy or evil. I suppose you could put a police officer or two at every school in America, but how we going to pay for that? Maybe a school tax on all firearms and ammo purchases? How about we put money into fortifying schools so that no one gets in by breaking glass? So basically, turn our schools into prisons. Not exactly ideal, but how else do you guard against terrorism?

- - - Updated - - -

That's not much different than you being a Govt. dependent, with guns.

Viva La Revolution
Snake Dr

And what exactly makes me a government dependent, good Dr.?

I don't think teachers should be forced to carry or in their job description. However, I do think that as a citizens teachers should have the option of bringing in their concealed firearm just as if they were grocery shopping.

Invisible lines around certain buildings shouldn't keep people from being able to defend themselves in the case of a crime or random act of terrorism.

Just let people defend themselves and don't make them defenseless. If the law makes them defenseless then it is the duty of that institution to provide security and protection.

Back
Top Bottom