• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Finally a school district thats taking PROactive measures

Arming teachers is close to the most ridiculous thing I've heard as a solution. Perhaps that works in a hobunk(?) town in Texas where 700 of the 708 residents pack a pistol, but it's impractical on a large scale. Most teachers I know don't want to be anywhere near a gun. What about the Principals then? A little less impractical but still requires a revision of the job description, insurance considerations, pay increase, training, and even then the outcome is not guaranteed. What happens when a teacher or Principal armed with a handgun gets taken out by an "assault rifle"? We gonna start slinging teachers with AR-15s or shotguns?

No one said to arm the teachers. They are simply allowing teachers and staff to bring their guns into the schools to protect themselves and their students, after completing a course. This is no different then being allowed to carry concealed anywhere else. Many members on here frown upon not being able to carry at work, or being able to carry in various establishments so why should there be objection to let CCWs carry at their job even though its a school? Personally I'd rather be shot and killed with a rifle when armed with a handgun trying to save lives then to be shot and killed with a rifle while unarmed. Atleast give me half a chance to make a difference.

After 9/11, some pilots were armed and air marshalls took to the not-so-friendly skies to thwart terrorism.

Maybe you don't need to arm the teachers but give them the choice to carry in their schools. And quit advertising that Gun Free Zone bulls***!

We all know cities with the strictist gun laws have the highest crime rates.

I hope they hold them to a standard of accuracy and proficiency. I would instill the Air Marshall testing as the pass/fail to allow it, after LOTS of backround checks.

No one said to arm the teachers. They are simply allowing teachers and staff to bring their guns into the schools to protect themselves and their students, after completing a course. This is no different then being allowed to carry concealed anywhere else. Many members on here frown upon not being able to carry at work, or being able to carry in various establishments so why should there be objection to let CCWs carry at their job even though its a school? Personally I'd rather be shot and killed with a rifle when armed with a handgun trying to save lives then to be shot and killed with a rifle while unarmed. Atleast give me half a chance to make a difference.

Maybe I read into that wrong, but I have absolutely no problem with concealed weapon permit holders being allowed to carry on school premises. It's no different than when I'm in Publix with my kids and Brinks comes in to empty the ATM as far as I'm concerned.

We can debate this all day, but giving teachers the right to carry to protect themselves and the children is an obvious deterrent to a violent criminal, and "gun free zones" are an attractant... However, you just can not hand someone a gun without training. I have several teachers in my family, and we all have laid out our concerns on the table and discussed viable options. I do commend the LE in most counties for stepping up and allocating officers as additional security in our schools.

Here is the real question - WHAT INSTRUCTORS WILL OFFER FREE FIREARMS TRAINING TO OUR EDUCATORS?

I will now post a thread with the above capitalized question, and hopefully we can get some valid responses instead of more bickering and ranting...

Arming teachers is close to the most ridiculous thing I've heard as a solution. Perhaps that works in a hobunk(?) town in Texas where 700 of the 708 residents pack a pistol, but it's impractical on a large scale. Most teachers I know don't want to be anywhere near a gun. What about the Principals then? A little less impractical but still requires a revision of the job description, insurance considerations, pay increase, training, and even then the outcome is not guaranteed. What happens when a teacher or Principal armed with a handgun gets taken out by an "assault rifle"? We gonna start slinging teachers with AR-15s or shotguns?

So what's my answer? My answer to what? Random acts of terrorism? It's called terrorism for a reason. Not much you can do. You can't legislate crazy or evil. I suppose you could put a police officer or two at every school in America, but how we going to pay for that? Maybe a school tax on all firearms and ammo purchases? How about we put money into fortifying schools so that no one gets in by breaking glass? So basically, turn our schools into prisons. Not exactly ideal, but how else do you guard against terrorism?

- - - Updated - - -

And what exactly makes me a government dependent, good Dr.?

Says the resident obama supporter ,

Back
Top Bottom