• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Finally had "the talk" with my wife, proud of her and a training question.

bluesman2a

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
32   0
Reaction score
OK, so I've been married for 11 years. Very early on in our relationship, I had a discussion with my wife and asked her if she could commit to shooting (and potentially killing) a person if it was a question of defending herself. The answer was not enough of a "yes" that I felt comfortable with her carrying. Then I got out of actively shooting for a while and firearms just lived in the safe, so it wasn't a big deal for a long time. She's never liked guns, but understands it's my thing, appreciates the security it brings our home, and has been generally supportive of all my hobbies.

Well lately, I've been shooting a lot more, been getting back into guns as a hobby, etc. Couple this with the fact that my son was born late last year, and the gun discussion in our house has changed radically. Then you layer on the fact that she's a teacher and she's looking at what is happening in the larger national discussion/current events.

Since becoming a mother I've also seen a fundamental shift in her where it comes to the welfare of our child/family. When asked the question "Are you willing to shoot a person who would do your child or family harm?" The answer is now "Absolutely." No equivocation. No hesitation. OK, so now it's time to start the discussion in earnest.

Our first recent step was that I sent her to a class on responding to an active shooter at a local range. This was a class only setup, teaching people how to think, react, and protect themselves in a situation with an active shooter. She enjoyed the class and took away some new thoughts on how to better survive in her school. It was a win. Following this we both went and I renewed my permit and she got hers for the first time.

Over the weekend I pulled just about everything out of the safe, laid examples of everything out, and we talked for about 2-3 hours. Starting with safety, my goals were to teach her safe gun handling. How to load/unload/make safe. And basic gun mechanics (what is a semi-auto, revolver, pump-action, bolt-action, and how does each work). I was so very proud of her, she asked great questions, and did well on the basic proficiency drills I gave her (loading, unloading, check chamber, etc).

One thing I have to brag about as well: I showed her how to use/load my Mossberg 12 gauge pump. I then showed her how to use/load several of my AR's. I set the pump down next to a 16" AR with a collapsible stock and a red-dot sight, and asked her to compare feel and movement and which she, as a woman would rather have in her hands at 2:00AM if there was an intruder in the house? She picked up each. got the heft. Asked "How do you see the sights on the shotgun in the dark?" You don't. She asked "So with this one I have 8 rounds and it takes a long time to reload, but with this one I have 30 and then I can have another 30 rounds pretty fast?" Yes. She thought about it for a few ticks, "Well then why the heck would Joe Biden say I should only use a double barrel with only TWO shots?" Welcome to the Second Amendment Party, NRA memberships are right this way, dear.

So now the training question: in going through this, I found that she is right-handed, but is left-eye-dominant (never knew that before). She finds it VERY difficult to even CLOSE her left eye independently. This wasn't a problem with the dot-sights as I had her practicing with both eyes open, but I also want her to be proficient with iron sights. How do you start training that for a new shooter? I'm trying to put together some kind of curriculum/training plan for her. I figured we would start out on .22's with dot-sights. I want this to be fun for her, at least at the start so she likes shooting before we start tackling some of the harder stuff.

My daughter is the same way. With handguns and isosceles I've learned you naturally pull the pistol into your dominant field of view. With rifles teach her to shoot left handed.

Very cool. I'm the same way, left eye dominate but right handed. I shoot handguns right handed but started shooting long guns left handed.

Let her shoot the rifle/shotgun left handed and see how she does.

Good story. My son is that way (I probably shouldn't have encouraged him to be right handed). In any case, why not start her out on handguns and ambidextrous long guns and then if she really enjoys it, get the few left handed shooters she may want/need in addition?
Enjoy it! Sounds like y'all are lined up for some fun times together! :cool:
ps - My wife's attitude took almost the exact same course as yours after motherhood. Although now, even though she doesn't hunt or want to, she feels the same way about coyotes for some reason? One too many "Coyote attacked baby" stories? :confused::D

If she cant close her left eye, when she shoots put a piece of tape over her glasses on the left side where she would look thru, it will force her to use her right eye. OR just sight it in for her right eye.

Im right handed left eye dominant, its very common.

My daughter is the same way and although her gun was not cheap, she doesn't squeeze off more than 3 or 4 rounds and then gets bored... Just not her thing, and until her hearts in it I'm not gonna force her.

I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant due to an injury that affected my sight in my right eye . I i shifted my stance a little and shoot righty with my head shifted a little. i could not unlearn rifle shooting so now i buy eotechs for my rifles so i can shoot both eyes open.

I believe she can learn to shoot with her right eye. Take a piece of opaque tape and cover the left lens with it. Let her get that down then swap to a couple layers of a satin type scotch tape let her get that down then take off a layer and so on until she is using no tape at all. I haven't trained myself to shoot irons with both eyes open yet but I do have her shooting her carry gun without using the sights at short range. She seriously needs to go to the range more often but then right now ammo is hard to come by unless you pay outrageously.

Course I dunno nuttin.

Is funny tho when I decided I was going to get my permit and carry I asked my wife the same question. Her responce was no, then I asked if she would shoot someone to defend her children/grandchildren and there was no hesitation at all. I simply said well if you would defend them but not yourself who is going to defend them when you are gone because you wont defend yourself. She thought a second or two and said "you know, you have a point". So we went out and got her something. One range trip or another I finally got her to shoot my 6" 357 mag revolver and she turned to me and said it doesn't kick as bad as my 9mm does. Then I got myself a smaller revolver and she tried it and when we got home she told me she wanted one for herself so I found one for her.

Got some grip panels for mine and she liked em so she had to have some for hers...

mine
i302.photobucket.com_albums_nn112_tv_racin_fan_SP101grip.jpg

hers
i302.photobucket.com_albums_nn112_tv_racin_fan_P1000167_zpsec8c1869.jpg

My son had been wanting to try a pistol grip on a shotgun and one day he found a set so he told me merry christmas and handed it to me. Anyhooo we took it to the range and the wife said she wanted to try it. I had gotten some Aquila mini shells and she shot the whole dern box and said she wanted more. Full power rounds and the pistol grip were not to her liking... and while I don't really care for the pistol grip she likes it so they stay on my shotgun.

In any case, why not start her out on handguns and ambidextrous long guns and then if she really enjoys it, get the few left handed shooters she may want/need in addition?

If she cant close her left eye, when she shoots put a piece of tape over her glasses on the left side where she would look thru, it will force her to use her right eye. OR just sight it in for her right eye.

Im right handed left eye dominant, its very common.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Its nice to know I'm not in a unique situation. I hadn't thought about having her shoot left with a rifle. Not sure how she will take to that, she's VERY right-hand-centric, but we'll give it a try. Worst case scenario, I'll pick up a lefty-bolt and lefty upper for her to use if she likes it. I want her to have "HER" gun(s) that she is comfortable with and cares for, I think the ownership aspect will go a long way into her getting into the sport. I mean, hell my son already owns HIS first gun and he's only 4 months old!!!:tongue:

I shoot handguns right handed and long guns left handed. I'm left eye dominant.

I've looked into how to do the "right" thing and what I've found is that people adapt with what they're comfortable with. Just let her shoot and figure out what works.

Personally, I don't use left handed guns. Most guns out there are made for right-handers. I don't want to get in a situation where I have pick up a gun and feel like the bolt is in the wrong spot. Visa-versa for someone else that might need your gun. I know those are far-fetched SHTF scenarios but learning to shoot right handed guns isn't bad. Plus, left handed models are more expensive and harder to find. I'm happy just adapting to right handed models.

You can get guns that are more lefty friendly. You can get deflectors and different accessories. Ithaca shotguns eject from the bottom. Mossberg's safety is on the back center of the receiver. Lever guns work with either hand. For bolt actions, you just have to learn the reach-around. I shoot a stock right handed AR.

To me, none of the issues compare with having to learn good trigger pull on two hands. If she can shoot with just one hand, great. If not, spend the money on guns with nice triggers. :)

Back
Top Bottom