Finally pulling the trigger- last minute advice requested

WakeSS

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
14   0
Reaction score
I would like to Form 1 two AR lower SBRs and Form 4 two, possibly three, cans this week... These are my first NFA items and I will be using a trust.

Any help with logistics and final can decisions would be appreciated!

It sounds like eforms are coming back much quicker. My original plan was to do these all at the same time. Does the dealer efile or I do this separately now? Looks like I'll have 2 requests, my SBRs via eform and suppressors via dealer?

For the cans; I have pistols and rifles from 22-308. My thought was a 22 can, a 30 cal can, and possibly a pistol can (45?)

For the 22 I was doing a silencerco sparrow

For the 30 cal a surefire socom762 - my main reason for going surefire is their mounting system. I'll be using this can on multiple weapon platforms and I like their mounting system and they seem to have the best selection of brakes/hiders (although they are proud of them $$$$)
I've also thought about the AAC cans 762SDN, mk13
QD, weight, 300blk performance are my main considerations.
Thoughts??

I'm still up in the air about a pistol can. 9-45 mainly Glocks and 1911's for hosts.
Looks like the tiRant 45 or osprey would be the way to go.

Thanks for any advice!!

You would sign up on atfonline.gov/eforms and do the eform 1 yourself. The dealer you buy the cans from will do the eform 4. Make sure they are set up to do the eforms... (hint hint, we are.)

You are right on track with your needs. 22, 45, and 308.

22, Sparrow, check. Top of the line 22 can and a great choice. I'd highly recommend it.
308 can, SF SOCOM, check. I'm a dealer and can have any 308 can I want, I picked the SOCOM. The mounting system was my main decision point. I will tell you its not th equietest, but it has the best ratio of length/weight/mount of any can I've seen. I'm very happy with mine.
If 300blk performance is one of your top wants though, look at the sdn6. On two identical AAC 9" uppers side by side, it sounded better to me than my SF. And its cheaper.

for the 45, you really have 2 good options in my opinion, the octane 45 and the tirant45. Both are great cans. Can't go wrong with either.

I picked the Spectre II over Sparrow. I use it more on pistols. I also have the osprey 45. Love it but I can't take it apart. You are welcome to test out either if you like. I live in Dawsonville as well. I just purchased the Specwar 762.

good choices all around. the AAC rifle cans either use the 51T or 90T mount. not sure ive seen a 90T in the wild. what do you want the rifle can for? big difference between ar10, full auto spray and pray vs. lightweight 1000 yd can. as for pistol cans, the tirant, osprey and octane hd are all within a tick fart of each other. pick the one you can get ahold of easiest.

lastly, go the Eform route. not sure who else does it in the state but they appear to be coming back faster for now.

I picked the Spectre II over Sparrow. I use it more on pistols. I also have the osprey 45. Love it but I can't take it apart. You are welcome to test out either if you like. I live in Dawsonville as well. I just purchased the Specwar 762.
Thanks!
Can I ask What made you go with the specwar 762?

good choices all around. the AAC rifle cans either use the 51T or 90T mount. not sure ive seen a 90T in the wild. what do you want the rifle can for? big difference between ar10, full auto spray and pray vs. lightweight 1000 yd can. as for pistol cans, the tirant, osprey and octane hd are all within a tick fart of each other. pick the one you can get ahold of easiest.

lastly, go the Eform route. not sure who else does it in the state but they appear to be coming back faster for now.
#1 use would be 300blk 10" SBR. I want this as quiet as possible...
After that comes sound and flash suppression on 10" 556, 16" ARs & AKs, 308 semis (AR,FAL,G3) and 308 bolt guns. I'm not a "precision rifle" guy so even the bolt gun is a 3-500 yd setup.

Def going the eform route! Thanks

Thanks!
Can I ask What made you go with the specwar 762?

I really looked for the quietest can for 7.62 and 5.56. Yes, it is heavier and longer but that does not matter for my intended use. I think it is the best value at $650. I am a recreational shooter. I like things to be as quiet as possible when I shoot. I also like their customer service. I will have it for life. I own a Mystic as well and had a baffle strike because of a faulty booster and they replaced the core in a week. Their customer service is fantastic. Always answer the phone and always offer advice. I would loved to have purchased the Essence but it is more expensive 22 can. I am far from an expert.

Since you said "pull the trigger on NFA", I've got to tell you to get ready for the longest hang fire of your life. ;)

I've got a Thompson Machine Zephyr XL .22 can- I can't imagine how you get queiter than that one... the .22 brass literally makes more noise hitting the table than the shot does. I looked at the Sparrow and others also. I just couldn't justify double the cost.

After SilencerShops testing of .30 cal cans I'd rethink your decision of the Surefire. Yeah it's got a great mount, but it metered so badly then didn't include it in their results. So badly they sent it back to Surefire for diagnostics to see if the can was somehow damaged internally.

There was a thread on AR15.com about it but it seems to have been deleted. Most likely Surefire's lawyers got involved.

Last edited:
After SilencerShops testing of .30 cal cans I'd rethink your decision of the Surefire. Yeah it's got a great mount, but it metered so badly then didn't include it in their results. So badly they sent it back to Surefire for diagnostics to see if the can was somehow damaged internally.

I'm assuming you are talking about this:
I was wondering what the background was... said they were going to test it and wasn't in the results.
The specwar looks like the definite winner there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom