Sierra H2120 125 ProHunter, OAL: 1.950
Speer TNT 125 1986, OAL: 2.010
Remington AccuTip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
Hornady 130 SP #3020, OAL: 2.010
Hornady 150 FMj-BT 3037, 2.065 OAL
Sierra 155 Palma, 2.150 OAL
Lapua B416 200 grain, 1.960 OAL
Sierra 220, 2.089 OAL

That's awesome, thanks! Why didn't my Noveske barrel come with it? I emailed Noveske and the guy didn't tell me anytbing but "this is property information".

I know this information will be no good in my a Noveske but it'll be a start.

That's awesome, thanks! Why didn't my Noveske barrel come with it? I emailed Noveske and the guy didn't tell me anytbing but "this is property information".

I know this information will be no good in my a Noveske but it'll be a start.
I have a noveske barrel. The lengths I gave you are the lengths for magazine function. Doesn't have anything to do with your barrel manufacturer. You don't need to be worried about trying to load to the lands for an ar. You want it to function properly.

I use a Lee Collet die backed out a bit to just size the neck enough so I can hand seat a bullet. Still enough neck tension to hold the bullet fairly firmly. I chamber this case and close the bolt. I'll do this three times, each time with a new bullet, a virgin ogive so to speak. I'll average the three and I always use a comparator to measure. Bullet tips vary too much.

I then load five rounds .003 off my average, then five more at .005, .007, .009. Then it's off to the range to see what OAL my rifle likes best.

I have a noveske barrel. The lengths I gave you are the lengths for magazine function. Doesn't have anything to do with your barrel manufacturer. You don't need to be worried about trying to load to the lands for an ar. You want it to function properly.

oh yeah? I been trying to load to the lands lol. I hadn't actually shot any rounds yet as I'm going to load a few more and get a good bit before I go to the range since its a little bit far away from me and I only get one day off a week. Yeah I had these xtreme bullets that I loaded suggest by another user and the BCG wouldn't close and lock. Pretty much got jammed in there and I had to pound it out with a rubber mallet.

I use a Lee Collet die backed out a bit to just size the neck enough so I can hand seat a bullet. Still enough neck tension to hold the bullet fairly firmly. I chamber this case and close the bolt. I'll do this three times, each time with a new bullet, a virgin ogive so to speak. I'll average the three and I always use a comparator to measure. Bullet tips vary too much.

I then load five rounds .003 off my average, then five more at .005, .007, .009. Then it's off to the range to see what OAL my rifle likes best.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with Bebop's plan and just load whatever fits, chambers and works. Altho I will still measure COAL so I know where I stand. I'm guessing all barrel makers have to have some type of dimensions they go by or else factory loads wouldn't work.

If you are measuring OAL, buy a comparator body and insert like the Sinclair (http://www.sinclairintl.com/) 749-002-552WS and 749-000-931WS. These are great and give you an easy way to measure. Next buy a Hornady length gauge with the appropriate modified case (or make it). This combo will give you a very consistent OAL reading. Note that each type/brand of bullet will give you a different OAL so you must measure each type/brand and keep a list. Also remember that you will need to remeasure over time as the barrel's throat will change.

As for loading for an AR, determining the COAL for you chamber might be useless as you will have to load your ammo to function properly with the magazine unless you are going to load the cartridges one at a time.

Best of luck!

If you are measuring OAL, buy a comparator body and insert like the Sinclair (http://www.sinclairintl.com/) 749-002-552WS and 749-000-931WS. These are great and give you an easy way to measure. Next buy a Hornady length gauge with the appropriate modified case (or make it). This combo will give you a very consistent OAL reading. Note that each type/brand of bullet will give you a different OAL so you must measure each type/brand and keep a list. Also remember that you will need to remeasure over time as the barrel's throat will change.

As for loading for an AR, determining the COAL for you chamber might be useless as you will have to load your ammo to function properly with the magazine unless you are going to load the cartridges one at a time.

Best of luck!

I think SAAMI specs are within magazine specs.

I think SAAMI specs are within magazine specs.

None of my most accurate loads fit the magazine. I'm not looking for five fast shots. I'm looking to thread a needle. This is out of my Anschutz at 100 yards.

IMAG0064.jpg

Back
Top Bottom