• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

finished my throwing knife target, now I..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it matter whether I hold the handle or the blade portion when throwing overhand, as long as I'm consistent:confused:

Actually, being a very avid knife thrower and instructor. A knife will rotate 1/2 turn from 6 to 10 feet. So, If I was 10 feet or closer I would hold the knife blade side. If I was going to throw from say 18 feet, I would hold it from the handle end.
Once you get pretty consistent then you move from how the blade lands. For instance the 3 blades you had thrown. The 2 with handle down, needed a little more room to rotate, back up a step and they should hit straight. Same as the 1 with the handle pointing up had a little to much distance to rotate. Move a step closer and you should be on point.
Good Luck! And practice, practice, practice![/QUOTE]
That seems like sound advice. Welcome to the ODT.

Do you have any pics or videos to demonstrate some of your throwing. You have my attention now.[/QUOTE]

Hi Green Panther. I don't currently have any video, but I would be happy to have one of my students make some vids if this helps some of you out. I've been knife throwing since I was 10 years old, started with my mothers kitchen knives. Didn't go over to well when she seen they kept disappearing.LOL.
But, to this day, I still practice throwing plain ol' butter knives, my thought is, if I can stick a butter knife, I can stick anything. Everyday when I get home from work, I stop in my garage and throw about 50 times before going into my house.

Thanks for the info on my video! Question... does the length of the knife or the weight of the knife (or both) force you slightly change your distance from the target?, meaning: if you've been throwing a 10-inch heavy knife and then change-up to a 8-inch lighter knife, will you be moving forward or backwards a smidgeon?

Hi GoNoGo,
Weight and length can definitely matter. A step closer or further depending. I'm a power thrower, so I tend to be back a minimum of 15 to 20 feet. I tend to throw primarily 10" to 14" knives from a 1/4lb. to 1lb. knives. When I do throw the shorter and lighter knives, I usually throw with a lighter force and move closer. My heavy blades tend to destroy the targets sooner. I have split 2" x 4"s with single throws. I have always trained for hunting and combat throws is why I use such power, but you may want to throw different size and weighted knives to get your feel. Then you can see how you will need to adjust a little easier. Then you can move into combat throwing techniques as well, ie.. underhand, sidearm, no spin throws, etc... Let me know how it goes. By the way, sorry for the late reply, but for some reason I'm not getting the e-mail's when I thread I'm in is posted.

Amen. Merry Christmas!

Hi givejunkfree,
I have several shuriken including all of Cold Steels, try the side hand flicking(Omote,Japanese) throw into cardboard or foam targets. You'll find this tends to not cut you when releasing and using foam or cardboard tends to allow a lighter throw to start out with.
Good Luck. Be Safe, Have fun! Happy Holidays!

body.jpgfront view change out.jpgtop view change out.jpg

Here's a target you should be able to copy and print. And here's a target holder I made that you can make that allows change out of the cardboard or foam quicker and easier.

Actually, being a very avid knife thrower and instructor. A knife will rotate 1/2 turn from 6 to 10 feet. So, If I was 10 feet or closer I would hold the knife blade side. If I was going to throw from say 18 feet, I would hold it from the handle end.
Once you get pretty consistent then you move from how the blade lands. For instance the 3 blades you had thrown. The 2 with handle down, needed a little more room to rotate, back up a step and they should hit straight. Same as the 1 with the handle pointing up had a little to much distance to rotate. Move a step closer and you should be on point.
Good Luck! And practice, practice, practice!

Do you have any pics or videos to demonstrate some of your throwing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom