• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm Transactions and Bill of Sale, CWP, Driver's License........

Just proof you can't be too careful. Anyone who asked to see his ID and Ga Weapons Carry License did due diligence.

What if he were a felon and you didn't ask to see anything?

Might need a lawyer. You can not be too careful especially under the current administration.

You have no legal requirement to ask anything. If you are OK with buying into the antigun liberal logic and taking steps that are not required by law and have zero effect on crime be my guest. As for me, I'm following federal law. Nothing less, nothing more.

Just proof you can't be too careful. Anyone who asked to see his ID and Ga Weapons Carry License did due diligence.

What if he were a felon and you didn't ask to see anything?

Might need a lawyer. You can not be too careful especially under the current administration.
What if the buyer has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence and you sell him a firearm or ammunition? That just as criminal as selling to a felon. Federal law holds you to the same standard in determining the buyers eligibility doesn't it? How are you going to know if the buyer is a stranger? I believe the standard is "unlawful to knowingly sell or give a firearm or ammunition to such persons." If you know, your are committing a crime, if you don't know, you are not.

You have no legal requirement to ask anything. If you are OK with buying into the antigun liberal logic and taking steps that are not required by law and have zero effect on crime be my guest. As for me, I'm following federal law. Nothing less, nothing more.
I couldn't agree more. Folks on this board blanch at the slightest intrusion of the government on gun rights...And Rightfully So...then turn around and make liberal like demands on the law abiding to transfer ownership of a gun. That isn't far away from private sales only through a FFL because it makes us all feel warm and fuzzy IMHO. It's a real head scratcher.

none of it is needed or required but I still have a tendency to at least give a quick flash of my GWL as it only takes a second and may help put a buyers mind at ease. When im selling I don't ask for anything but never mind if someone shows me they have one as well

I know this debate comes up all the time and I tend to side with not not using id, cwp, or bos but would a bill of sale ever protect you if:
-The gun was stolen and insurance wants proof of ownership?
-The police are holding your gun after an incident and they want proof of ownership before they return it to you?
-You are found to have a stolen gun?
Ive never really put much thought into this but would a bill of sale benefit you in any case?

I've only dealt with ODTers who have had way more transactions than I and all had 100% feedback. I didn't ask for anything.
If someone I deal with wonders why I have a PA area code on my cell phone I don't have a problem showing them that the pictures on my GA DL and GWCL match my face.

Back
Top Bottom