• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm Transactions and Bill of Sale, CWP, Driver's License........

Outdoor0518

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
What if anything is required by law to legally transfer ownership of a firearm, specifically a handgun? Why do some sellers ask for ID or CWP? What is the benefit?
Just had a seller omit the fact that they required a CWP in their ad, didn't mention it until we contacted by phone. Kind of a waste of time, but got me to wondering why its even a concern in the first place.
Any thoughts?

You should ensure the person is a resident of your state. If not the transfer should go through an FFL.

I ask to see Drivers license because it could be a Fed!

A GWL means you probably aren't prohibited from owning a weapon. Checking is due diligence.

Many felons probably buy through private sales.

JMHO

You should ensure the person is a resident of your state. If not the transfer should go through an FFL.

I ask to see Drivers license because it could be a Fed!

A GWL means you probably aren't prohibited from owning a weapon. Checking is due diligence.

Many felons probably buy through private sales.

JMHO

Felons steal guns or buy them from other felons. They don't pay retail.

Some people are paranoid and some ain't. Sometimes you can be buying a gun from and individual who bought it new and filled out the 4473. That person may want legal or maybe semi legal proof that they no longer own said gun. I kinda understand that. But if it's a Hi Point that's had three previous ODT owners I really don't see the point in asking for all the info and a BOS.

The jerk they caught running guns up to NYC bought some locally I think.

He wasn't a felon. He was committing a felony, but he was not a convicted felon. Nobody who sold to him did anything illegal. Even had he been a convicted felon nobody who sold to him would have done anything illegal.

Just proof you can't be too careful. Anyone who asked to see his ID and Ga Weapons Carry License did due diligence.

What if he were a felon and you didn't ask to see anything?

Might need a lawyer. You can not be too careful especially under the current administration.

Back
Top Bottom