• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fired primers not always inert

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Don't labor under the false assumption that fired primers are inert. Not always. Found out today.

A fired SP primer made its way from my bench into the lead pot. Melting old bullets for recasting.

A typical set up......pot on the reloading bench and a bit of clutter.

i.imgur.com_DgmzBeM.jpg

Along about the second melt and casting session, I was 2 ft away, safety glasses still on and sizing bullets on the Rock Chucker as they cooled.

BANG.........fortunately, the melt had just commenced and pile of unmelted bullets limited the splatter to a splash around the rim of the pot.

On stirring in the flux, after a long wait to see if anything else would go pop.....I fished out this primer.

i.imgur.com_hBlN3Xs.jpg

Stirred it a lot and some more and checked the balance of the scrap bullets in the bucket waiting to be melted.....no more primers.....so I finished up a 420 each run of good old 405g HBFPs for the 4570.

i.imgur.com_yUJlPli.jpg

Two things to do then, move the casting area away from the loading bench and check my lead more closely, expecially if its been on the loading bench before going in the pot.

glad you are ok...

No offence, but I always cast bullets outside well away from my gun room, with a fan running to move the fumes away from me.. always wore face/eye protection and welders sleeves and gloves. Seen some ugly explosion's with hot lead

primers and water are a major danger to casting..

Back
Top Bottom