• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

First AR build, what y'all think?

Nice build. Best change I did to mine was two things, one a good trigger, griselle triggers, CMC, or RRA 2stage, all good.

Second was an optic, Ive ran both the Vortex Strikefire, EOtech, and Aimpoint. If you want to save money and still have a nice sight the Vortex is hard to beat, for a higher end Aimpoint. IMO the Aimpoint PRO is excellent bang for the buck and there's the T1 if you want a micro. IMO, I wasnt to impressed with the EOtech, Ill take my Aimpoint over it everyday.

Like others have posted: more mags, a good sling, and a decent light. Worry about optics later. And ammo isn't getting cheaper or easier to find...
It might be easier to narrow down everyone's suggestions if you give the main role of the rifle (range use, 3 gun, home defense, etc). If this is your first AR you might want to keep it simple until you determine what you need it to do. Going with the DD upper was a great choice IMO.
If you take a class (which most people should do and recommend others do) you'll probably find out what you actually use and what gets in the way.
And no offense, but if no tools are involved then it's not a build. Customized or modified, yes. Still a very nice set-up.

My suggestions on accessories:

Nothing. In fact I would take a lot of what you already have on there off.

I think people nowadays spend way too much time and money putting useless junk on their guns, AR's especially. Lasers, lights, bipods, foregrips, slings, optics, etc etc etc all have their place, but on a carbine used for general shooting and what not, most all of them are pointless or a hindrance in some cases.

Take the advice of whoever posted it earlier, figure out the role you want to fill with this rifle and go from there.

This is why I asked about the BAD lever earlier, not about the lever exactly but about your experiences with the traditional bolt catch. I noticed that you said this is your first venture into the AR platform and I thought it was interesting that you had a BAD lever on it, something that I relate to an advanced carbine shooter. Why? Because for 99% of the people that shoot carbines, the stock release works just fine. I also noticed that you skipped over this part of my Q entirely.

Given the opportunity, you may have found that you like the regular bolt catch better than the BAD, or that you like shooting flat hand better than having a foregrip, or that you like irons over optics, or that you like a regular CAR stock or MOE over a super high speed sniper storage stock. If so, you would have saved a load of money and your rifle would be more reliable, and a lot lighter to boot.

I wasnt trying to bait you and Im not trying to give you ****, but I see this so often that it bugs me a bit. So, I would suggest getting used to your gun as it sits right now, not spend any more money on it, and if you feel like you need to upgrade it later once you shoot it a bunch and find it lacking, spend your money then. If you are building your rifle just to build a cool rifle and you dont care how it shoots or how well you shoot it, then by all means buy whatever.

Just some advice, take it as you will. For the record I am no AR15 expert, but I have been shooting the AR platform for about a decade. Here is my main carbine:

img.photobucket.com_albums_v206_candykane101_Arms_AR_DSCN0689.jpg

My suggestions on accessories:Nothing. In fact I would take a lot of what you already have on there off.I think people nowadays spend way too much time and money putting useless junk on their guns, AR's especially. Lasers, lights, bipods, foregrips, slings, optics, etc etc etc all have their place, but on a carbine used for general shooting and what not, most all of them are pointless or a hindrance in some cases.Take the advice of whoever posted it earlier, figure out the role you want to fill with this rifle and go from there.This is why I asked about the BAD lever earlier, not about the lever exactly but about your experiences with the traditional bolt catch. I noticed that you said this is your first venture into the AR platform and I thought it was interesting that you had a BAD lever on it, something that I relate to an advanced carbine shooter. Why? Because for 99% of the people that shoot carbines, the stock release works just fine. I also noticed that you skipped over this part of my Q entirely.Given the opportunity, you may have found that you like the regular bolt catch better than the BAD, or that you like shooting flat hand better than having a foregrip, or that you like irons over optics, or that you like a regular CAR stock or MOE over a super high speed sniper storage stock. If so, you would have saved a load of money and your rifle would be more reliable, and a lot lighter to boot.I wasnt trying to bait you and Im not trying to give you ****, but I see this so often that it bugs me a bit. So, I would suggest getting used to your gun as it sits right now, not spend any more money on it, and if you feel like you need to upgrade it later once you shoot it a bunch and find it lacking, spend your money then. If you are building your rifle just to build a cool rifle and you dont care how it shoots or how well you shoot it, then by all means buy whatever. Just some advice, take it as you will. For the record I am no AR15 expert, but I have been shooting the AR platform for about a decade. Here is my main carbine:
img.photobucket.com_albums_v206_candykane101_Arms_AR_DSCN0689.jpg
Truth. My favorite is an m4a1 with no optics, rails, lights, etc. Just a plain no frills carbine.

JS and NWS hit the nail on the head. I think just about everyone that has shot ARs for any length of time have a box of accessories that they bought, put on the gun, then took off after shooting with them. I know I do. The best use of your money is for the ammo that lets you shoot and see where you wanna go next. No point going down a road jsut to realize your on teh wrong road. The one thing I never took off was my Timney, not saying go with Timney, but you can't go wrong with a comp trigger.

m910a_bk_45l_2[1].pngNice! What you need is this! I got one, brand new in box, never opened! PM if interested. Dang can't get pic to upload. Google M910A SureFire. Got it,

Last edited:
lol, thanks morgan, ill get my balls prepared, and also to JJ and sharpshooter, thanks so much for the advice, i have no idea what im going to use the gun for yet, so far it will just be a fun range toy, my friend morgan here calls me a gun snob just bc i like nice stuff, and i do, i want a light weight gun, so i know i should just use the K.I.S.S. method (keep it simple stupid) but i like my toys. so i guess all i really WANT on it is a AFG, sling and some optics. ...prob should have listened to morgan and got an AK lol...NOT

lol, thanks morgan, ill get my balls prepared, and also to JJ and sharpshooter, thanks so much for the advice, i have no idea what im going to use the gun for yet, so far it will just be a fun range toy, my friend morgan here calls me a gun snob just bc i like nice stuff, and i do, i want a light weight gun, so i know i should just use the K.I.S.S. method (keep it simple stupid) but i like my toys. so i guess all i really WANT on it is a AFG, sling and some optics. ...prob should have listened to morgan and got an AK lol...NOT

If you ever want to swing through Rome, your welcome to try out some different optics, mounts, grips, stocks, etc. I have quite a few options. As said, I also have a box full of crap I wasted money on because I thought it looked cool but in the end discovered it was not for me.

[Broken External Image]:

Back
Top Bottom