• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First forged knife project complete.

acmech

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
0   0
Reaction score
My son and I forged out a knife for my Dad from some spring steel that was made in the late 60's to early 70's. I am really happy with how it turned out, but even more happy with how excited my son was about it. After heat treat, I did test it with a file to check hardness, that isn't shown in the video. Already had someone comment I forgot to do that. I also tempered it in the oven at 400 for an hour and a half. Hope you like the pics and the video I made for my dad so he could see how we made it. My boy is pretty good at leather work so he made the sheath for it. I made both the forge and the anvil after my son expressed interest in knife making last year. We learned a lot and there are several things we'd do different next time like use belts for the sander that were meant for metal not wood. Also, as a smith told me, you should "hammer thick and grind thin". Well we hammered it thin but the surface imperfections just add character. Anyhow, hope you guys like the pics.

20161224_162054.jpg
20161224_162138.jpg
20161224_162147.jpg
IMG_0138.JPG

This is awesome. Great job. I've been wanting to attempt to make one myself. I may have to do this with my kids. Thanks for the idea.

Very nice. It's great to see a parent take the time and make the effort to learn a new skill with their kid and I salute you both.

Back
Top Bottom