• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fishing Kayak recommendation

Also check out the "Georgia Kayak Fishing" forum.

That said, I would go for a SOT (Sit On Top) in a 13' or longer. One of the better kayaks is the Wilderness Systems Tarpon series, but Jackson makes some nice ones as well.

FWIW:
I've fished from an REI "sit on top" and an old Gannett Tandem. Neither were true "Fishing Kayaks". However I learned the following:

The small sit on tops give lots of freedom of movement, but not a lot of easy access storage. I had to put my tackle box behind me and reach around for it.
DO get / take an anchor! I hooked a gar on the river and went for a ride!

The larger kayak has a rudder. It's worth the extra $ for a rudder, not only to even out the paddling side to side, but to help in the wind.
The larger "sit inside" kayak has more space for storage, but is pretty long, and the last big bass I hooked kept going under the boat, from side to side. Eventually the fish dove down close to the bow, and the last foot or so of my rod bent 90 degrees against the top of the kayak and broke. Lost the fish as well as the tip of my rod. I bring this up only to point out I couldn't turn or swivel fast enough to keep up with the fish.

A good friend has the LL Bean fishing kayak and loves it. Another got a cheap sit on top from some cheaper clothing store like Burlington's of all places. He uses it to kayak camp.

Final summation: have an anchor, get a kayak with a rudder. Don't take too much tackle. Wear lots of sunscreen on your legs! Have fun.

You'll probably get a lot more response over on the "Lanier Area Kayak Fishing Enthusiasts" forum. Pretty helpful bunch over there.
Thanks didn't know about them.

Where are you fishing? Lakes, Rivers, ponds? You definitely want something stable, if $$$ is the issue I would look for a good jon boat
lakes for sure, not looking to add another boat but yes that was one of my concerns is a good stable kayak. As far as money I'm not expecting to go to the Walmart and buy a $300 kayak and think it will do all I want but I don't really wanna go much over $1,000-1,200 either. Is that possible?

lakes for sure, not looking to add another boat but yes that was one of my concerns is a good stable kayak. As far as money I'm not expecting to go to the Walmart and buy a $300 kayak and think it will do all I want but I don't really wanna go much over $1,000-1,200 either. Is that possible?

Yes it is possible. Look here, on eBay, and Craigslist. Even call some retailers and see if they have floor models for sale. If you're going by yourself, bigger isn't always better. I can lug my sit-on-top pretty easy, but the tandem is a bit harder to portage by myself.

Back
Top Bottom