• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Flash hider crush washer timing

GTSteve03

Default rank <500 posts
Trigger Warning
83   1
Reaction score
Last item on my upper build is holding me up. Got an A2 flash hider and crush washer going on a Faxon pencil barrel.

When I hand tighten the A2 + washer to the barrel, it's about a quarter turn past lined up when it hits the washer. So I'd need about 3/4 turn against the washer to line it up again.

This seems like too much torque against the pencil barrel for me to be comfortable. Should I toss the crush washer and get a peel washer or some shims instead? Or am I overreacting?

Last item on my upper build is holding me up. Got an A2 flash hider and crush washer going on a Faxon pencil barrel.

When I hand tighten the A2 + washer to the barrel, it's about a quarter turn past lined up when it hits the washer. So I'd need about 3/4 turn against the washer to line it up again.

This seems like too much torque against the pencil barrel for me to be comfortable. Should I toss the crush washer and get a peel washer or some shims instead? Or am I overreacting?
Every Faxon pencil barrel I have seen has the proper shoulder at the threaded muzzle end to support a crush or split (A1) washer. A 3/4 turn ain't going to hurt anything. Thread up A2 and crush the washer, it's what it's designed for. No less than 90 degrees, no more than 450 degrees is the crush spec on a milspec crush washer I believe.

If you decide to use a peel washer, remember each lamination (Peel) = 10 degrees of rotation on a milspec peel washer.

Turn/torque in 1/4 turn increments. Back it off FH and repeat until it's indexed correctly. Since it's a pencil barrel, make sure it is supported in vice blocks to avoid torquing/twisting the barrel.

You'd be surprised how little torque it would take with a wrench to turn it that extra 3/4 turn...it is a brand new crush washer?

Back
Top Bottom